What should I plant in Southern California during February

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, I am starting a garden in my backyard with great sun coverage and inside of pots. But i do not know what seeds to get at my local nursery. I live in Southern California, in the month of February where I live the mornings are pretty chilly and humid but it gets warmer by the afternoons. I am looking to grow vegetables but am open anything viable in the weather where I live. I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, I am starting a garden in my backyard with great sun coverage and inside of pots. But i do not know what seeds to get at my local nursery. I live in Southern California, in the month of February where I live the mornings are pretty chilly and humid but it gets warmer by the afternoons. I am looking to grow vegetables but am open anything viable in the weather where I live. I am looking forward to your suggestions.
Most of us are not familiar with your growing/climate conditions. What is your average date of last frost? What are your average nightime temperatures. What do you want to grow? Many vegetables like peppers and tomatoes should be pre-planted inside and the transplants set out after the danger of frost has gone. Soil temperature is also very important as to germination. Need more info as to your zone and exactly what you want to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most of us are not familiar with your growing/climate conditions. What is your average date of last frost? What are your average nightime temperatures. What do you want to grow? Many vegetables like peppers and tomatoes should be pre-planted inside and the transplants set out after the danger of frost has gone. Soil temperature is also very important as to germination. Need more info as to your zone and exactly what you want to grow.
I live in Palmdale and the average first and last frost dates are Spring: 5/2, Fall 10/27. The average night temperatures here are a high of 63 and a low of 37. I am looking to grow anything viable where I live, I just want the experience so I can be a better grower, but I mainly want to grow something edible. Also i appreciate you getting back to me bud.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in Palmdale and the average first and last frost dates are Spring: 5/2, Fall 10/27. The average night temperatures here are a high of 63 and a low of 37. I am looking to grow anything viable where I live, I just want the experience so I can be a better grower, but I mainly want to grow something edible. Also i appreciate you getting back to me bud.
Start your seeds indoors about 6-8 weeks before date of last frost. Soil temps for most spring vegetables should be at least 65F and warmer if possible for good germination. After seeds sprout you must give them as much sunlight as possible. If not they will get leggy and not be a good producer. Look at the vegetable forum under seed starting guide for temps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Start your seeds indoors about 6-8 weeks before date of last frost. Soil temps for most spring vegetables should be at least 65F and warmer if possible for good germination. After seeds sprout you must give them as much sunlight as possible. If not they will get leggy and not be a good producer. Look at the vegetable forum under seed starting guide for temps
Any ideas on what plants would be ideal for my location?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Ask a Question