What should I consider growing in central alberta?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hey all, Ive been interested in growing fruit for a while, now. Im pretty new to the whole deal yet, this was my first year doing anything with plants.
Anyway, to the point, I want to know what you would recommend for my hardiness zone. I want plants that I dont have to replant every year, so perennials or bushes/trees. Keep in mind I live in town.

I know strawberries can usually brave the winter, so thats definitely on the list, but what else can I throw in the mix?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Hi! My sugestion would be Juneberry (Amelanchier), one of my favourite shrubs, extremly hardy but birds love the fruit as much as I do, so good antiaviation protection is essential. Also cornus mas (Dogwood) is very good and nice looking small tree or some sort of Hawthorn (Crataegus) some of them are very good to eat, while all of them have very good ornamental value in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Dogwood was a plague on my old acerage, it would choke out the birch trees and left unchecked itd choke out my apple and plum trees too. Will consider growing it all the same though. Thanks for the suggestions!

Ask a Question