What plant would you not grow?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just thought I would ask, is there a plant you would never think of growing? A plant that when ever you think of it you think of

going to the store to purchase it in stead of I should plant that so that I can have as much as I want. For me it would be the

cantoloupe, I just read a post where the gardener is trying to grow cucumbers and cantoloupes and the thought popped into

my head, I would never grow a cantoloupe, it is easier to go to the store and purchase one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just thought I would ask, is there a plant you would never think of growing? A plant that when ever you think of it you think of

going to the store to purchase it in stead of I should plant that so that I can have as much as I want. For me it would be the

cantoloupe, I just read a post where the gardener is trying to grow cucumbers and cantoloupes and the thought popped into

my head, I would never grow a cantoloupe, it is easier to go to the store and purchase one.
Ah, but does a store bought canteloupe taste like a real canteloupe? Does a store bought tomato tastes like a homegrown tomato? There are a few plants I would never grow simply because I don't eat them or like them. Why even have a garden if you just end up going to the store anyway? And if you don't like them why grow them? I would never grow an artichoke nor would I ever buy one.

Reaction score
You may not eat brussel sprouts, but the 'real' ones from the farmer's markets are so much better than store bought. I'm not a big fan of them either, so I would never grow them either, they are gassy. However, the greens part of brussel sprouts is DIVINELY good. It's kind of like a collard green but way more tastier. I have to laugh at myself because I would could grow brussel sprouts just for the greens part and not know what to do with the rest, lol.

To answer the question, I would never grow any of the fruits I don't like enough to have bunches of since a garden makes so much. Cantaloupes, watermelon, for me are pretty much when the mood strikes.

Reaction score
Timber bamboo.

It is beautiful and I love it, but I keep hearing horror stories of the timber bamboo coming up 20 feet away. My neighbors would absolutely kill me.

I know that there are non-invasive bamboos, but the non-invasive ones are bushy instead of tall and stately!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was thinking pico de gallo would be so much better with Italian parsley instead of cilantro ;) I don't think I've ever had BBQ Mexican style.
Mexican BBQ is when they serve on tortillas instead of plates. A big slice of brisket with pico de gallo. Or refried beans on a tortilla with a dallop of picante sauce made with "Mexican Parsley".:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I wouldn't want to grow cacti. I really don't like them. I don't find them pretty at all. To me, they don't seem friendly;) I prefer plants with leaves and stems that need a lot of watering and pruning. Cacti are boring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wouldn't want to grow cacti. I really don't like them. I don't find them pretty at all. To me, they don't seem friendly;) I prefer plants with leaves and stems that need a lot of watering and pruning. Cacti are boring.
Don't come to Texas, you might accidentally sit on one. I can guarantee it won't be boring:cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
That's a question I really haven't given much thought to before. Typically, as a gardener, you would say you'd grow anything and everything. Took me a while to think of it, but I wouldn't grow corn. There are some people who do grow a few in their backyard, but I don't think I could. They would take up too much space and it's too much work for one person.

Ask a Question