What plant is this?

Reaction score
Anyone know what this plant is? I brought some home from mom's but she didn't know what it was, inherited it with the house.....
DSC04949.JPG

Attachments

• DSC04950.JPG
    DSC04950.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 456

j.w

Reaction score
I read it does best in shade but will grow in full fun but the leaves may turn yellow or brown in Summer. In shade the leaves are supposed to stay green. It has been said to be extremely invasive in shade and can send runners underground for quite aways. It is a lovely plant just make sure it's in an area where it can't crowd out other flowers. It may not spread as fast in full sun or it may die. Guess you will find out what it does.

Reaction score
I have it planted between my waterfall and purple iris. It was growing next to purpe iris at mom's so I don't think it's able to crowd that out. I also have some creeping jeeny and phlox there but hopefully they al just compete and run together, that's what I am hoping!

j.w

Reaction score
Just remember Jen...........you have the control...........you are queen of the garden and can say who can stay and who has to go if they mis-behave :D
I rip out stuff now and then when it starts to take over. Put it out on the corner in a box for free. Some have places in their gardens where they want stuff to take over..............I don't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
France
"Muguet de Mai" in french. We are specialized in this cultivation in Nantes (France).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lily-of-the-valley (Convallaria majalis) is a rhizomatous perennial, widely grown for its fragrant, white flowers that appear in late Spring or early Summer. The plant grows best in cool, mesic climates, often in bright or partial shade. This plant is also grown as a commercial crop, both for cut flowers and as a source of essential oil used in perfumery.

Convallaria is a small genus of three species in the Butcher Broom Family (Ruscaceae, or alternatively, subfamily Nolinoideae of Asparagaceae). Convallaria majalis is native to Europe and western Asia. Convallaria keiskei is native to eastern Asia, Sakhalin, and Japan.
Convallaria pseudomajalis is native to the central Applachian Mountains in the eastern U.S.
All Convallaria contain cardiac glycoside compounds and are therefore quite poisonous.

Ask a Question