What on earth are these called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I moved into a house with a nice size garden...but my god its a mess the soil is full of litter and old concrete. It's just shocking, but it's that time of the year and I'm starting to have a crack at it. We're trying to tackle this raised section (see picture) but want to start by changing these broken old slabs of concrete that are containing the soil.
So for starters what are they called and secondly how do we tackle changing them... any advice so gratefully received.

Attachments

• 20210227_134327.jpg
    20210227_134327.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
Country
France
So I moved into a house with a nice size garden...but my god its a mess the soil is full of litter and old concrete. It's just shocking, but it's that time of the year and I'm starting to have a crack at it. We're trying to tackle this raised section (see picture) but want to start by changing these broken old slabs of concrete that are containing the soil.
So for starters what are they called and secondly how do we tackle changing them... any advice so gratefully received.
Looking at that from here...dig out around the slabs to remove them or dig away the edge of the soil so it does not collapse..but if it does it is not looking like it would do any harm..depends on how fit you are as well..I have been a digger all my life and if it needs moving I am there....but have had some back issues over the years....common of course....My husband has had also back issues and he is not a digger so just depends on the way we are...barge boards to hold back the soil again or what ideas you have to support the raised bed..Once done would be good for veggies or plants....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Superduperamateur and welcome to the forum (y)
With my limited knowledge I would call it edging. I guess that they are holding back the soil behind. Do you want to keep that as a raised section?
They look like they may be paving slabs of some sort. If you want to replace them there are a number of alternatives. Depends what materials you want to use.
This b&q link shows paving edges https://www.diy.com/departments/out...Y592556.cat#icamp=SRD_Outdoor_PavingEdging_L4
This link gives you an idea of how to lay new edging
Or you could go for treated wood as @Woollie suggests. Depends on the look you’re after. There are certainly plenty of videos on line that should be able to help you. Hope that helps.
Dont be shy in asking any follow up questions we are all here to help if we can :)

Ask a Question