What nutrients/supplements do you use to feed your plants?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everybody!

Relatively beginner gardener here. A few years ago I helped some friends out with their indoor gardening, and I recall they used organic supplements as nutrients for their plants - they came in a bottle and I distinctly remember one of them had organic fish/squid matter in it. I'm looking to get back into the indoor gardening myself, ideally setting up a small indoor vertical veggie garden/farm, however for now it's just caring for my ~20-something indoor plants.

Wondering what nutrients/supplements everybody uses to give their plants a bit of extra boost? I've been saving my egg shells, but otherwise they've just been drinking water and taking whatever is/was already in their potted soil. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I acknowledge there are probably many different schools of thought on this topic, but am curious to learn what's been working for you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are referring to container plants, such as house plants, understand that nutrients will leach out a little each time the plant is irrigated. Therefore, I use a complete general-purpose fertilizer for most of my container planters. 'Complete' means that it contains all macro- and micro-nutrients that a plant needs. I use a liquid formula that I apply once a month, but other people find success with granular, time-released products. There are many products made from a variety of materials that come from different sources. Some of these will be considered more 'organic' than others, but the actual nutrients the plants use will largely be the same. The amount of each nutrient should be listed on the product. There are various homemade recipes such as compost 'teas', but some can be inconvenient to make and it is harder to assure completeness and consistency, Also, too much solid material fertilizer added to a container could negatively affect drainage, if there is even room to add it.

If you are talking about in-ground beds, the situation is different. Here is where one can add ample organic matter to plantings as mulch, either as previously decomposed compost or as various uncomposted source materials, such as bark, wood chips, hay, garden clippings, fallen leaves, coffee grounds, egg shells, etc. However, most 'hot' kitchen waste should be composted first before application, as it may attract vermin. Mulch added regularly to soil will continue to feed a cycle that will supply nutrients that are gradually be released as the material decomposes. These nutrients will both directly feed the plants and also feed soil organisms that will improve soil conditions. Rich, healthy, 'living' soil will also benefit the plants.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
"What's been working for you?"

In my case, and for nearly 1/2 century of gardening, I've been perfecting a system centered on the use of cover/rotation crops for continuous soil conditioning and improvement. I augment that system with homemade compost, fish emulsion, and the occasional use of specialized supplements e.g. Epsom salts, ag. lime, etc.

My system has been targeted primarily at growing the best tasting garden veggies possible...and in that, it is successful.

As I get older, I'm contemplating expanding my system to include raised beds and container indoor/outdoor plants both decorative and for consumption. I recognize that a large garden may not always be possible as we age.

One thing remains constant...the focus should always be on the soil.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Rich, healthy, 'living' soil will also benefit the plants.
One thing remains constant...the focus should always be on the soil.

On the topic of healthy soil, a lot of the soil I have in my plants feels very dry - almost "crumbly" when not watered. When I do water it, the water seems to run right through the soil, and the soil doesn't feel like it retains much of the moisture. I interpret this as a sign that the soil is depleted in some way - is that fair? Can I replenish soil once it gets to this state, or does it need to be replaced?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Again, if you are talking about container plants, drainage is paramount and nutrients are primarily added through fertilizer application. That is not to say that there should be no organic matter in the soil, but some of it will gradually decompose, turning into CO2.
Eventually all container plants will benefit from being repotted, or at least being dressed with a thin layer of new potting soil.

There a number of different potting soil blends, either pre-mixed and bagged or as recipes you can blend yourself. Most will start with a large amount amount of organic matter, though some intended for cacti, succulents and the like, will have significantly less.
As long as they drain well, most will work fine, though you may want to stick with one or two blends you like, as they will dry out at different rates, which can make irrigation more complicated.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... I interpret this as a sign that the soil is depleted in some way - is that fair? Can I replenish soil once it gets to this state, or does it need to be replaced?
I always have available at least a couple of yards or more of homemade potting soil which I use to repot, start seeds, grow transplants, etc.

This soil mix includes my garden soil, composted household organics, composted garden organics, and supplements e.g. ag. lime as needed based on soil tests.

I consider it far superior to anything sold commercially and most importantly its absolutely safe and chemical free.

So, getting back to your question, yes, without hesitation, I would replenish or replace.

An accurate soil test is the best way to determine what you have.

potting soil.JPG

Ask a Question