What!!!! No recipe section?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
No recipes section doesn't allow one to look in one spot for others favorite recipes for any thing.

Here is one of mine since it is time for a new batch.

Venison Summer Sauage.

6 pounds of thawed venison non adulterated.

2 table spoons of Mortons tender quick salt.

2 table spoons of garlic powder

2 table spoons of onion flakes

2 table spoons of mustard seeds.

1 table spoon of liquid smoke.

Remove rings from fingers and massage the venison to work the spices in to the meat. Spend a bit of time to make sure it is well mixed in about 10 minutes.

When finished set in fridge covered for 24 hours to allow the spices to meld into the meat. Then work it with our fingers once again then set in fridge another 24 hours.

3d day repeat the mixing and 24 hours in the fridge.

Day 4 line a cookie sheet with alum foil, preheat oven to 200F.

Remove venison mix and roll into logs about one inch in dia. And lay on the cookie sheet. Leaving a bit of room between the rolls Bake in the preheated oven until the logs are no longer pink in the center, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 160 degrees F 6 to 8 hours. Turn the meat once or twice during cooking. Allow to cool before slicing thinly and serving.

There are other cooking methods used for this. My mom would roll the logs in foil tightly and bring water to a boil and cook for that 160F temp.

I my self don’t want to be checking the oven for 6 to 8 hours so set the ovens temp at 325F and cook for 1.5 hours then check with thermometer for 160F temp.

Let cool on the cookie sheet then remove the rolls to a platter lightly cover with a cling type wrap and place in the fridge for a few hours.

Then remove the rolls from the fridge and slice 1/8th inch slices and place in a food storage bag. Take some with you to munch on at the deer blind, deer camp or where ever.

Note if you have added pork to your venison you will have a bunch of grease on the cookie sheet so be careful removing from the oven.

DO NOT wear flip flops doing this. Just ask My friend Bill how hot grease feels on a bare foot.

:D Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Summer Crook Neck creamy soup.

2 10 oz cans of unsalted chicken broth, home made is best.

Enough cut up in 1/4 inch chunks, peeled if the skin is tough, deseeded if they are large, crook neck squash to allow broth to just cover. Spices are limited in my recipe since Kare is anti one grain of salt.
2 table spoons of butter (the real stuff)
1/2 table spoon of garlic powder.

Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
I use a extra large slotted spoon to dip squash out and either use a blender or a imerison blender to make the batch creamy smooth. I would use the imersion blender in the pot right on the stove but Kare like a bit of chunkyness and I tend to make it extra smnooth in the pot blending.

You can simmer to allow the broth to reduse or remove a bit, add a 1/2 cup of heavy cream and reduse heat.
Stir the soup till the cream is fully blended in.
At that point add to bowls and enjoy.

For me once the soup is in my bowl I add salt to taste, a few bacon bits and shredded mild cheese.

I use the same recipe with cauliflower, broccoli butternut and dumpling squash also .

I can a bit for winter use when only foreign squash can be found.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No recipes section doesn't allow one to look in one spot for others favorite recipes for any thing.

Here is one of mine since it is time for a new batch.

Venison Summer Sauage.

6 pounds of thawed venison non adulterated.

2 table spoons of Mortons tender quick salt.

2 table spoons of garlic powder

2 table spoons of onion flakes

2 table spoons of mustard seeds.

1 table spoon of liquid smoke.

Remove rings from fingers and massage the venison to work the spices in to the meat. Spend a bit of time to make sure it is well mixed in about 10 minutes.

When finished set in fridge covered for 24 hours to allow the spices to meld into the meat. Then work it with our fingers once again then set in fridge another 24 hours.

3d day repeat the mixing and 24 hours in the fridge.

Day 4 line a cookie sheet with alum foil, preheat oven to 200F.

Remove venison mix and roll into logs about one inch in dia. And lay on the cookie sheet. Leaving a bit of room between the rolls Bake in the preheated oven until the logs are no longer pink in the center, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 160 degrees F 6 to 8 hours. Turn the meat once or twice during cooking. Allow to cool before slicing thinly and serving.

There are other cooking methods used for this. My mom would roll the logs in foil tightly and bring water to a boil and cook for that 160F temp.

I my self don’t want to be checking the oven for 6 to 8 hours so set the ovens temp at 325F and cook for 1.5 hours then check with thermometer for 160F temp.

Let cool on the cookie sheet then remove the rolls to a platter lightly cover with a cling type wrap and place in the fridge for a few hours.

Then remove the rolls from the fridge and slice 1/8th inch slices and place in a food storage bag. Take some with you to munch on at the deer blind, deer camp or where ever.

Note if you have added pork to your venison you will have a bunch of grease on the cookie sheet so be careful removing from the oven.

DO NOT wear flip flops doing this. Just ask My friend Bill how hot grease feels on a bare foot.

Any particular cut of venison or just scraps? What size of grind is best, coarse, medium or fine?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I grind mine course holds together for burgers with messing it up.

I grind about 90% of my venison. can make so much more with burger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I want to talk about eggs in an instapot cooker. I can make poached eggs in a microwave but this I don't really know what to do with.
Screenshot_20190921-210719_resize_40.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Oven baked smelt

ingredients
cooking spray, for the baking sheet
1 pound cleaned smelts, washed and patted dry
2 eggs, beaten
OR
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 1/2 cup seasoned italian breadcrumbs
olive oil, for sprinkling
directions
Set the oven at 350 degrees F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.

On a counter, from left to right, set wide shallow bowls of smelts, eggs or egg substitute, breadcrumbs, and the baking sheet.

Dip each smelt into the egg, then in breadcrumbs. Slightly flatten the smelts as you place them onto the sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil.

Bake the smelts for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Itialian Egg Plant recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 1 large eggplant (about 2 lb.), trimmed, sliced into roughly 20 ¼-inch-thick rounds
  • 1 24-oz. jar marinara sauce
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
How to Make It
Step 1
Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
Step 2
Warm 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and parsley in a medium bowl. Working in batches, dip eggplant slices into egg mixture. Shake off excess and place slices in a single layer in skillet. Cook until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer slices to baking sheet; place in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining eggplant. If burned bits accumulate, wipe out skillet with a paper towel between batches and add remaining olive oil.

Step 3
Warm marinara sauce in a small pan over low heat. Spoon 1 Tbsp. sauce onto each of 4 plates; top each with an eggplant slice. Spoon more sauce over, sprinkle with Parmesan and add another eggplant slice. Repeat layers until no eggplant remains. Top each stack with 2 Tbsp. sauce, sprinkle with more Parmesan and serve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
What are smelts please?
type of fish. Smelts are a family of small fish, the Osmeridae, found in the North Atlantic and North Pacific Oceans, as well as rivers, streams and lakes in Europe, North America and Northeast Asia. They are also known as freshwater smelts or typical smelts to distinguish them from the related Argentinidae, Bathylagidae, and Retropinnidae

Ask a Question