What kind of weed is this?

Reaction score
Hello could you please help me ID this weed in my lawn. I am guessing it is either crabgrass or cheatgrass.

TIA!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    516.4 KB · Views: 265
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 271
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

This is a Crabgrass (Digitaria spp.), and judging from the size and general appearance of the plant, it is most likely Hairy Crabgrass (Digitaria sanguinalis), also known as Large Crabgrass.
For a more definite species determination it would be best to see close up images of the leaves, as well as the spikelets when they are produced.

Digitaria is in the Panicgrass tribe (Paniceae) of the Grass Family (Poaceae). Digitaria sanguinalis originated somewhere in Eurasia or North Africa but is now a widespread warm-season annual weed in lawns and ruderal areas.

Cheatgrass (Bromus tectorum), or Downy Brome, is a very different annual grass in the Brome trime (Bromeae) of the Grass family (Poaceae). it is smaller in stature and shorter-lived, often going from germination to flowering in only a couple months. It could appear as a lawn weed, but is usually ,more prevalent in drier landscapes. Once you become familiar with Cheatgrass you are unlikely to ever mistake it for a crabgrass.

Ask a Question