What kind of shrub is this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I can't seem to find out what kind of shrub this is... According to what I've seen its probably a Fortune's spindle.. And it looks like it's growing a cactus does anyone know anything about it?
20200423_190716.jpg
20200423_190653.jpg

Not sure if my locationwould help? But i love in the desert south west area (U.S)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Japanese Euonymus (Euonymus japonicus) in the Bitter-sweet Family (Celastraceae). The species is native to Japan and Korea.
The plant pictured is/was one of the yellow-leaved cultivars. It appears most similar to Euonymus japonicus 'Aureus', but in any case, the variegation is unstable and the shrub often reverts to a green-leaved form.

More notable are the plant's two fasciated stems, described above as 'a cactus'. It would be fun to attempt to conserve or even separately root these curious branches, though success may prove elusive.

Stem fasciation occurs when a stems growing tip becomes malformed and begins to grow in a planar or otherwise distorted fashion. Fasciation can be a stable mutation, though it can also be caused by injury or insect damage. Fasciated forms of collectable plants are often prized by lovers of the bizarre, though they sometimes prove harder to keep, as fasciation can make a plant prone to rot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I tried to grow some E. j. microphylla variegata cuttings that fasciated this Summer and wasn't successful. I'm going to try a different hormone next Spring. I'll keep you posted.

Ask a Question