What Kind Of Plants Will Do Very Well Indoors?

Reaction score
I do not have any indoor plants. I am interested to know what kind of plants will survive indoors even when you don't bring them out very much for some sunshine. I am very busy and most probably would not have the time to do this often. It would help if you could give me some names so I can ask about them and check them out when I go to a garden. Sadly, the people who sell the plants usually do not know anything about the plants they are selling. I want really tried and tested plants so I'd rather try out your suggestions rather than just copy a list of indoor plants online.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
A couple I've grown are ficus benjamina and schefflera. Obviously the more light you can give them the better they will do, but they aren't terribly fussy.

My schefflera spent years in a really dark corner before I realised my mistake. It grew long and scrawny, but remained healthy. The nice thing is that when it got too tall I just cut it down to two stumps and it sprouted new stems where it was cut.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Coleus are cheap & easy to grow from seed or to propagate from leaves, and the foliage can be strikingly colourful:

coleus.jpg

Coleus_SGoompahz.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Try Spathiphyllum, it's also known as Peace Lilies. In my opinion it's a very unique and pretty plant and it's great at cleaning indoor air. My mother has grown Spathiphyllum indoors for many years already:)

FD15022WH.JPG

Reaction score
I always recommend Pothos, because I love it and it is so hardy indoors. It looks like a philodendron but the leaves roll up a bit at the tips. It's my favorite indoor plant and does not require much sun - indirect sun is fine. I can't figure out how to post pictures here but you can find many by a simple search of Pothos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I always recommend Pothos, because I love it and it is so hardy indoors. It looks like a philodendron but the leaves roll up a bit at the tips. It's my favorite indoor plant and does not require much sun - indirect sun is fine. I can't figure out how to post pictures here but you can find many by a simple search of Pothos.
Posting pictures is easy, you just have to find the one that you like, open it in a separate window, copy the link and then paste it in the window that shows up after you click the 'Image' icon above your post:)
Here is a picture of Pothos, we grow it too, it's a very pretty plant:

pothos1.jpg

Reaction score
There are many plants that will do well indoors, here are some of them (pictures included):

Aloe

Aloe_squarrosa.jpg

Spider plant

IMG_0935-1.JPG

Rubber Tree (a classic)

RUBBERPLANT.jpg

Snake Plant

Snake_plant.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
image.jpg
I love, love, love Philodendron scandens (Heart Leaf). It comes in a variegated form also. Mine lives mainly in water with very little dirt, except when I forget and it dries out. The more sun the larger the leaves. I like the smaller leaves so several of mine get very little light. Super easy to propagate, just snip and place stems in water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jewell, your plant looks really pretty and very healthy, Heart Leaf is the sweetest name ever, I love it:). It's very convenient that you can grow it in water. I've been thinking about getting a few plants that I could grow without soil. They would look great on my windowsill:)

Ask a Question