What kind of plant smells like cotton candy?

Tam

Reaction score
I am sorry but I have no picture as I have no idea what I am looking for. I live in Northern British Columbia zone 3, when I go walking in the bush there is a place on the trail that smells like cotton candy. I was hoping someone would know what that may be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not sure if I recall the scent of cotton candy...does it have any scent at all? But for sure it sounds very nice. And sweet:) I would like to know what kind of plant is this, too!:)

Reaction score
The strawberry tree (Muntingia calabura) has a scent of cotton candy. Being in zone 3, that's probably not what you smelled though, the strawberry tree doesn't like cold climates... Hmmm, I can't think of anything else but I'm sure other people will have some ideas!

Reaction score
I imagine cotton candy to have a sweet sugary smell. I think that would be wonderful to have growing out by my bench where we sit and chat at night. It looks like from the descrption that it is a plant that probably would not like my cool Utah winters. I really had no idea you could get plants with such a sweet smell to them.

Are there other plants out there that give off the smell of candy? I know berries smell sweet but you need to be close enough to smell the fruit on the plant. Is this plant one you can smell as you walk by like you could a lavendar plant?

Tam

Reaction score
I imagine cotton candy to have a sweet sugary smell. I think that would be wonderful to have growing out by my bench where we sit and chat at night. It looks like from the descrption that it is a plant that probably would not like my cool Utah winters. I really had no idea you could get plants with such a sweet smell to them.

Are there other plants out there that give off the smell of candy? I know berries smell sweet but you need to be close enough to smell the fruit on the plant. Is this plant one you can smell as you walk by like you could a lavendar plant?

Yes there are two places on the trail behind my house where you walk b,y and the wonderful aroma just fills you up. The trail is beside a creek so lots of moisture. I live in a cold climate for most of the year as our winters are 8 months long.

Reaction score
I looked up the Katsura Tree and I don't have any of those in our area growing in the wild. They are very nice though. Thanks for the response.

Follow the scent and see where it's coming from :)) I would :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you ever figure it out let us know because I would love to know what it is. I know that we have a flower here that grows that I have been trying to figure out what it is called that smells like red kool aide. Had us baffled when we first smelled it. We were walking around our property wondering why we were smelling it and discovered that it was a bush like flower. No one seems to know what it is called around here.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Thats a great smell to walk through! I lve the smell of Jasmine and we have that in the garden, each time I walk past I get the scent and it brightens up my day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thats a great smell to walk through! I lve the smell of Jasmine and we have that in the garden, each time I walk past I get the scent and it brightens up my day.

Anything sweet and pleasant is wonderful to walk through. Our property is still covered in sage brush and that smells awesome too... especially when we stick it in a fire.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am years late coming into this discussion, but I would like to add that a particularly lovely night-blooming plant which smells just like cotton candy is Zaluzianskya capensis
"Night Phlox"
AKA "Midnight Candy".

I used to have one in my garden (Central California), in a large ceramic pot. It is not a large plant. Lovely white flowers. My plant lived for years. The scent it gives off at night is wonderful. The only place I know to obtain Zaluzianskya capensis is through anniesannuals.com ------ a nursery based in San Francisco. anniesannuals sells the most wonderfully pretty and unusual plants, via catalog.

Ask a Question