Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Argentina
picture # 1

photo hosting sites

picture # 2

free upload pictures

I ate one of the ones in picture # 1 and it was not hot as I was told. The ones in picture # 2 look like Jalapeños, however, I am not certain. I am drying and labeling the seeds as I eat these. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
The ones in the first picture look a lot like ''chilaca'' chilies, a type of Mexican pepper. The ones in the second picture... the light ones look like ''chiles gueros'' or banana peppers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Argentina
picture # 1

photo hosting sites

picture # 2

free upload pictures

I ate one of the ones in picture # 1 and it was not hot as I was told. The ones in picture # 2 look like Jalapeños, however, I am not certain. I am drying and labeling the seeds as I eat these. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: The first one I ate from picture # 1, was the third one from the left and it was not hot. I tried one of the other ones from the same picture, and it was very hot, at least for me, so be careful if you run across some of those. I want to grow them. I dried and stored the seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
There are thousands of cultivars of hot peppers so it's almost impossible to say what those are. As you found out, you can also get different strengths of chili on the same plant. :confused:

So a lot of growing them from seed yourself is very hit and miss. I've been growing them for many years and to make them come true from the original plant you need to isolate the plants so that they don't get pollinated by a different cultivar. They're very promiscuous.

I've been cross breeding them to try and reduce the size of the plant but have them produce fruit in a prolific manner. Some work well and others don't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Argentina
There are thousands of cultivars of hot peppers so it's almost impossible to say what those are. As you found out, you can also get different strengths of chili on the same plant. :confused:

So a lot of growing them from seed yourself is very hit and miss. I've been growing them for many years and to make them come true from the original plant you need to isolate the plants so that they don't get pollinated by a different cultivar. They're very promiscuous.

I've been cross breeding them to try and reduce the size of the plant but have them produce fruit in a prolific manner. Some work well and others don't.

Actually, I did not grow any those, nor have I ever grown any. These were bought at 1 of thousands of produce stands in Buenos Aires. They are probably not from the same plants.

Good information as far as isolating them and cross breeding. Once I find a good plant I want to clone her and take cuttings. I am getting my seeds ready, then I will start trying to germinate them when it gets a little bit cooler. It's peak summertime down here.

Ask a Question