What kind of paint for a cedar flower box?

Reaction score
I've made a nice 48 x 10 x 8 deep flower box out of cedar and I need to know what kind of paint to use to help preserve the wood but also wouldn't interfere with the plants or leech anything into the soil. Or since it's made of cedar would it be ok just to leave it unpainted (and a little less protected from the outside elements)?

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Outdoor paint. However, if you've gone through the trouble and expense of purchasing and building a planter out of cedar, why cover it with paint? Cedar is one of the woods that lasts a long time outdoors as it can stand up to moisture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What ChanellG said, no need to paint cedar. Doing nothing is fine, the wood will naturally turn gray. A semi-transparent stain would prevent it from going gray and if you go that route, look for a water-based exterior stain (which I am assuming would be lower in VOC*s than solvent-based.)

*volatile organic compounds.

Ask a Question