What kind of Japanese maple seedling is this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I found this opportunistic seedling and now I'm trying to grow it. Anyone know what this turns into? A laceleaf or an upright?
KV4ffx4.jpg

jCxT2m2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It was growing behind my yews so I transplanted it earlier this spring. Neither my house or any of my neighbors have an adult Japanese maple.. Except my neighbor has a gigantic at least 40 feet red maple which idk if its Japanese or not since the foliage looks a little different. Well I don't need to know the specific cultivar, I just want to know if this is one of those upright Japanese maples(ex: bloodgood) or the weeping laceleaf one(ex: crimson queen)

Reaction score
Country
United States
From the leaves and branches already visible on the sapling, it is evident that this will be an upright Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum) that will produce red leaves, at least on newer growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I get those too. and sometime there are too many so I ignore them until they really make it taller. Have dug them up and potted them. Called a neighbor to give away. I'd like to think they will be close to the parent tree near by.

Ask a Question