What Kind of Critter is This?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi:

I found this on our pepper plant this morning. It's very small, probably around 1/4 of an inch. Please tell me if you can tell from the picture what it is. Beneficial or a Pest?

critter.jpg
critter2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi:

I found this on our pepper plant this morning. It's very small, probably around 1/4 of an inch. Please tell me if you can tell from the picture what it is. Beneficial or a Pest?

View attachment 8892 View attachment 8893
That !ooks !ike a juveni!e member of the Phasmatodea (wa!king stick) fami!y. Not beneficia! nor rea!!y a!! that harmfu!! either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, I believe Chuck is right, and that is a very young walking stick bug!

Reaction score
That !ooks !ike a juveni!e member of the Phasmatodea (wa!king stick) fami!y. Not beneficia! nor rea!!y a!! that harmfu!! either.

Just curious, Chuck... is something wrong with your keyboard? If so, let me tel you I understand your pain, I had the same thing happen to the ''R' key from my keyboard...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just curious, Chuck... is something wrong with your keyboard? If so, let me tel you I understand your pain, I had the same thing happen to the ''R' key from my keyboard...
Yeah, the ! doesn't work. A major PITA. Am getting a new computer today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
That insect looks like a specie of praying mantis or maybe walking stick. Yes, I had seen a walking stick once when we were in a forest park and I even took a video of it. But whatever that is, I'm sure it will be eating the young leaves of your plants. We have a citrus plant here which is the favorite of young grasshoppers so it wouldn't bear fruits because the young leaves are always eaten by the small critters.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That cute little guys name is "Phasmatidae". He's apart of the walking stick family.
sorry that's all I know about these little guys, They don't seem very harmful to the plants I've seen them on.

Reaction score
This looks like a walking stick. They are super awesome little creatures. They remind me of the leaf bug, really. I love how many unique bugs there are in the world that just go unnoticed.

Ask a Question