What kind of Cedar is this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe I spoke too soon, since I'm not even sure it's a Cedar. I've been admiring these for a few years as they've grown bigger at the hardware store. I've seen them around town too, but no one I talked to knows what they are. Even the nursery's people didn't know and their expert's never there when I stop by. The closest I found so far is a Hogan Cedar, but I'm not no sure that's right. I took a few photos just around or before spring, sorry for the color variations. I tried to lighten it because some were dark. Could anyone help me find out the name or know anything about it,.. any ideas? Thank you either way and have a great day everybody!!

Attachments

• IMG_9888.JPG
    IMG_9888.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9886.JPG
    IMG_9886.JPG
    373.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9884.JPG
    IMG_9884.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9882 (2).JPG
    IMG_9882 (2).JPG
    411.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9885.JPG
    IMG_9885.JPG
    310.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9883 (2).JPG
    IMG_9883 (2).JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cupressocyparis castlewellan springs to mind - the LLeylandii that is very fast growing and can cause nightmares here for people who's neighbours plant them for hedging and leave them to grow - shading out other gardens.

I may well be totally wrong, but these can be cut to form all sorts of weird shapes, like the ones in your first picture.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its not a Leylandii well it doesn't look like one to me which I can usually spot a mile off .

They look like the Thuja family which one I not sure but I'd start with one of the Plicata varieties . Crush the leaves is a good hint if its is one of the Thuja plicata / others , they reminded me of strawberry milkshake others say pineapple smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, that's a handy tip Perki. Although I used to propagate conifers at the nursery, I always found them difficult to ID :shame:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cupressocyparis castlewellan springs to mind - the LLeylandii that is very fast growing and can cause nightmares here for people who's neighbours plant them for hedging and leave them to grow - shading out other gardens.

I may well be totally wrong, but these can be cut to form all sorts of weird shapes, like the ones in your first picture.
This is a problem I have, though I am not sure that they are leylandi, it seems there are a few things similar in appearance. The previous owner had a man come in and cut the hedges , and of course he made them look tidy with the minimum amount of work, so they are now about six feet thick. Trouble is some things grow back if you cut them back, others stay brown. Then there is a hedge across the end which has simply grown tall. I took one out over the last couple of days, it had slit at the bottom and there were two trunks somewhere around twenty five foot high and maybe ten inches thick. There are about another dozen to go, it is going to be a lot lighter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm, I don't think it's a Leyland either. I'm familiar with those problem children. My Leyland monsters are pretty bullet proof, so I left a couple in place since nothing else grows where they are and they thrive on brutal neglect - full sun & never get water all summer etc. And I haven't had to look at my neighbors since. All the others I removed over time. I must say, I never had a more durable tree but I can't stand how they break when it snows. Mine got enormous fast! Biggest one before I decided I made a mistake was 40% taller than the utility poles and I topped that one several times. That just seemed to make it mad and I think I heard a voice in the wind saying, "Challenge accepted!" :D They make a beautiful hedge if you have extra time to trim. They also gum up the electric trimmers pretty badly.

So, these I'm asking about have never been trimmed to my knowledge, so I'd hoped the shape would be key perhaps? Has that low wide pyramid shape. All the ones I've seen around town are similar. They're a lush deep green after new growth matures. The younger ones like these are fairly tight, conformed and very dense, not whispy at all like Leylands can be. I've seen some that were trimmed around the bottom that seem to take well to that. No brown dead areas if kept that way normally. Medium growing too, not a real fast grower like Leyalnds or Grn Giant Thuja. I keep looking for abig mature one. more tree like. But have yet to spot one. Maybe they change enough to look different or they just don't get that big? I think around 25ft is the biggest I've consciously acknowledged. And about that wide too.

I have Grn Giant Thuja's also so I know they aren't those. These do have that scale leaf like a Cedar. Grows in a more upwardly direction and as the limbs get heavier they settle outward. But new growth typically aims upwards. Things like Arborvitae and Green Giants seem to grow more directions. The mystery tree does have that Cedar or Thuja smell if you crush them.

Thanks for your patience. I'm just trying to zero in better for anyone reading. Really appreciate the feedback!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its not a Leylandii well it doesn't look like one to me which I can usually spot a mile off .

They look like the Thuja family which one I not sure but I'd start with one of the Plicata varieties . Crush the leaves is a good hint if its is one of the Thuja plicata / others , they reminded me of strawberry milkshake others say pineapple smell
Will do, thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally got ahold of a nursery owner. took sample and photos, he said his guess was Hogan Cedar but no real way to tell. Darnitt>

Here's a pic of one.

Attachments

• Handler.jpe
    Handler.jpe
    180.5 KB · Views: 32

Ask a Question