What is wrong with this Nandina?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I planted it in early spring and it was great now it looks like it is dying.

Attachments

• 20160518_164732.jpg
    20160518_164732.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 404
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How much water does it get? It may have either too much or too little.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks as if it has some sort of a fungal growth either from watering too often or some other factor. The black splotches on the leaves looks more like too much water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The one in question is in the background. All were planted at the same time.

Attachments

• 20160519_092234.jpg
    20160519_092234.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 402
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The one in question is in the background. All were planted at the same time.
It looks like there is quite a bit of slope to your lawn and that the plant in question is on the downhill side. If so, the plant will receive more runoff water and drainage water than the other plants. I also see leaf drop on most of the plants. Do they all have dark spots or blotches or is plant in question the only one?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The lawn is sloped but inside the round bricked area is level. Also all of the plants have the same problem .

Attachments

• 20160519_100806.jpg
    20160519_100806.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 329
  • 20160519_100818.jpg
    20160519_100818.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 357
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It's a fungal infection, but not deadly. Remove any dropped leaves from the ground, spray with a fungicide, and only water when the top two inches of soil is dry. Fifteen minutes a week if you are using drip irrigation is sufficient. If you are using a sprinkler, check to see how deeply 15 minutes goes.

Fungicide recipe: Mix 2 tsps. baking soda and a 1/2 tsp. of dish soap (Dawn or Ivory) not dish detergent, in a pint of tepid water. Shake well, and spray on the plant, both upper and underside of leaves. There are fungicides made with milk, Neem oil, and other ingredients, but I have found this to be easy and effective. The only down side is that it has to be reapplied after a rain, or after the sprinkler finishes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The lawn is sloped but inside the round bricked area is level. Also all of the plants have the same problem .
It really looks like all of the plants are staying too wet. Is the bricked in area a self-contained planter or is it built on top of the soil with no bottom to it? How well does it drain? It is hard to tell exactly what is wrong but I would take a sample to your local nursery and let them look at it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It's a fungal infection, but not deadly. Remove any dropped leaves from the ground, spray with a fungicide, and only water when the top two inches of soil is dry. Fifteen minutes a week if you are using drip irrigation is sufficient. If you are using a sprinkler, check to see how deeply 15 minutes goes.

Fungicide recipe: Mix 2 tsps. baking soda and a 1/2 tsp. of dish soap (Dawn or Ivory) not dish detergent, in a pint of tepid water. Shake well, and spray on the plant, both upper and underside of leaves. There are fungicides made with milk, Neem oil, and other ingredients, but I have found this to be easy and effective. The only down side is that it has to be reapplied after a rain, or after the sprinkler finishes.
Thanks. I have been using Neem Oil on my azaleas.I will give this a try.Thanks
It really looks like all of the plants are staying too wet. Is the bricked in area a self-contained planter or is it built on top of the soil with no bottom to it? How well does it drain? It is hard to tell exactly what is wrong but I would take a sample to your local nursery and let them look at it.
IT is on the ground.BTW The tree in the center seems to take advantage of any watering.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Is it possible to water less, and more frequently? I think that can help.

Frequent shallow watering leads to shallow root development, which you don't want. Deep watering, perhaps once a week, is better for the plant.
I don't know what variety of nandina you have. Can you return to where you bought it and ask?

Ask a Question