What is wrong with my rose bush?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
It was so pretty when my dad bought it for me in April, and the leaves look alright to me, but there's no new roses :(

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 429
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It was so pretty when my dad bought it for me in April, and the leaves look alright to me, but there's no new roses :(
Be patient. It isn't going to all of a sudden just jump up and start putting out buds and blooms. What kind of rose is it? An old heirloom climber? What is it? You can't expect a newly transplanted plant to instantly produce beautiful flowers. It is a plant!! It has to have time to get over the super fertilizing methods of the grower and get acclimated to its new enviornment. Instant gratification does not happen with plants. Just make sure that it is adequately fed and watered and it will do what it is supposed to do. Give it a little time. It looks perfectly fine now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I bought it at Lowe's and since I had forgotten what kind it is, going through their website kinda helped. I'm pretty sure it's a double knock-out rose bush. I'm glad to know it doesn't look like it's sick. I'll give it all the time it needs, thanks, chuck :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought it at Lowe's and since I had forgotten what kind it is, going through their website kinda helped. I'm pretty sure it's a double knock-out rose bush. I'm glad to know it doesn't look like it's sick. I'll give it all the time it needs, thanks, chuck :)
Please, do yourself a favor and forget about buying plants at Big Box Stores. Their plants are imported from all over the place and many of them are not compatible with your soil or climate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I tried not to but any plants at Big Box stores, especially the ones I'm going to eat, but my parents were visiting and the only place they had decent-looking rose bushes around here was Lowe's. My father wanted to buy me a rose bush for the new place, so we bought it. I also couldn't help but buying basil, lemon thyme, hot oregano, and greek oregano. I'm regretting it a little now, and next time I'll grow them from seeds. All of my vegetables except for two flying saucer squash plants are grown from heirloom seeds or were bought at a nursery and were heirloom or organic plants. What's the difference between heirloom and organic, by the way?

I'm all into organics and I don't know for sure if those flying saucers are or not. I'm still debating whether I should keep them or not :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried not to but any plants at Big Box stores, especially the ones I'm going to eat, but my parents were visiting and the only place they had decent-looking rose bushes around here was Lowe's. My father wanted to buy me a rose bush for the new place, so we bought it. I also couldn't help but buying basil, lemon thyme, hot oregano, and greek oregano. I'm regretting it a little now, and next time I'll grow them from seeds. All of my vegetables except for two flying saucer squash plants are grown from heirloom seeds or were bought at a nursery and were heirloom or organic plants. What's the difference between heirloom and organic, by the way?

I'm all into organics and I don't know for sure if those flying saucers are or not. I'm still debating whether I should keep them or not :confused:
BBS can't mess up herbs all that much. They will grow pretty much anywhere any time. The difference between organic and heirloom is that organic doesn't have a drop of chemicals and heirlooms are seeds or plants that have not been hybridized and have been grown for at least 20 years without any modification

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You need to cut off withered flowers. And, like Chuck said, be patient, I'm sure that your rose will bloom again soon. From what I see in the picture, it looks really healthy, so there is nothing to worry about:) My roses produce flowers only from time to time too:)

Reaction score

If that is a picture of how your rose looks now - all I can say is that it looks to be a pretty healthy one to me and think that the main reason that you currently don't have any new blooms - is possibly as Chuck has already mentioned - that its settling in and putting its roots down after being transplanted.

However there are a couple of other reasons as to why it may not be blooming - the first one being that in order to encourage new blooms you need to cut the spent ones off - as soon as they fade and the other one being that not all rose varieties produce flowers continually throughout the year - as there are some varieties that sadly only flower once a year.

As far as buying plants from Big Box Stores - I have to say that - although I normally only ever buy my plants from specialized nurseries - I've had a few that were incredibly good bargains and extremely healthy too and even though I would agree that they are not the best places to acquire a plant - I can't say that I ever found any of the plants sold in these places to be unsuitable for the soil or the climate - in fact quite the opposite :)

Reaction score
Trim off the dead flowers for starters. Get a rose specific dry fertilizer and spread some it around the plants. Give them a good drink of water and them mulch around them at a depth of at least 1- 2 inches. Let nature do her thing!

Ask a Question