What is wrong with my Green Peppers?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, new to gardening. Overall my garden has been doing fantastic, however, i am having issues with my green peppers. All the leaves on the bottom look great. All the leaves on top are shriveled and skinny. This is like this for all my pepper plants. I assume this is a deficiency in something (calcium maybe?) but i don't want to just guess. Any advice on what needs done?
20220611_142430.jpg

Attachments

• 20220611_142426.jpg
    20220611_142426.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My peppers get this on occasion. On my plants it is caused by a calcium imbalance, sort of like Blossom End Rot. The way I fix the problem is to add a big handful of Epsom Salts around the base of the plant and water it in. When my plants have this the plants are too young to have peppers big enough to show BER so I don't know if it is BER or not. After a period of time the affected leaves grow into normalcy and the plant always produces without any BER showing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought Epsom Salt contained just magnesium and not calcium. Are you thinking this is a magnesium or calcium deficiency?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought Epsom Salt contained just magnesium and not calcium. Are you thinking this is a magnesium or calcium deficiency?
You are correct. It does not contain any calcium. With BER and I presume that your peppers have BER, it is not a lack of calcium in the soil that causes the problem. It is the plants inability to uptake the calcium that is there . and somehow the ES causes a chemical change that allows for calcium uptake. It is not a deficiency it is an inability.

Trainman

Trainman zone 9A
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
United States
I had some BER on my Banana peppers a couple of weeks ago. The leaves didn't shrivel, they actually looked fine. I was see brown spots on the peppers and they would prematurely fall off. I did a foilier application of a calcium spray. Now I have a bush loaded with healthy peppers. If you think it maybe a calcium deficiency, try a foilier spray and some vegetable tone fertilizer. This has micronutrients in it.

Ask a Question