What is turning my sunflower leaves brown and puffy?

Has anyone had sunflower plant leaves turn dark and puffy?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
My sunflower plants are about a month old and now the a leaf on two of the plants turned dark brown and puffy. There may be bugs inside the leaf, I'm not sure.

Does anyone know what is causing this??

What should be done to help?

I've posted two photos and have since removed the leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_4037.JPG
    IMG_4037.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 2,338
  • IMG_4038.JPG
    IMG_4038.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 6,061
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How much sun are they getting? I'm seeing a lot of shade there; sun flowers need tons of sun. As for the brown spot, I get that a lot, but the sun flowers are otherwise healthy for the most part.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had the same problem. I thought it was some kind of bug. I sprayed neem oil and no more have turned dark.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How much sun are they getting? I'm seeing a lot of shade there; sun flowers need tons of sun. As for the brown spot, I get that a lot, but the sun flowers are otherwise healthy for the most part.

Hello. They receive morning and afternoon sun. It may have been later in the day that I took the photo. And, yes, otherwise they are very vibrant. I started them from seeds and will be replanting them into the ground soon. I wanted them to become nice and sturdy first.

Ask a Question