what is this?

Reaction score
IMG_20151205_144602.jpg

I keep removing this dense and sturdy reddish-brown meshwork of root-like things from our raised beds. They grow an inch or two below the surface and don't seem to have any green part to them. They keep regrowing back after a few weeks once removed. On the photo is what you get from a sq.ft. where nothing grew for months. I'm in coastal NorCal. Would greatly appreciate any suggestion on what this is or how to get rid of it.

Thanks and Best Wishes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those look like feeder roots of some sort. What is growing in the near proximity of the raised beds?

Reaction score
Thanks Chuck! There's a row of cypresses, about 8-10 yards away, right behind the retaining wall, which is 3 yards above the backyard, and then, up the hill, some pines. Not much grows around as we don't water the backyard, almost bare dirt covered with pine and cypress needles. Wherever I break the ground and turn soil to prepare it for growing something, fresh network of reddish "roots" show up later underneath the surface. They average 1/16" thick. Most of our backyard gets waterlogged for quite a while after regular rains.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have two big evergreen trees in the front yard and over the years the roots are taken over! It is very hard to have anything grow in this area since there are lot of roots like yours in the ground every time dig up a spot to grow some flowers.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I get the same problem with the Ash tree sending roots up into my veg plot, it knows there's food and water to be had there, keep having to chop them back.

Got my eye on some root barrier I saw the other day :ninja::whistle:

Reaction score
Thanks, IcyBC and Zigs. Yes, some longer branches of the big cypresses partially hang over the raised beds -- why shouldn't the roots be as spread. Must be the cypresses. Would tarp block them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, IcyBC and Zigs. Yes, some longer branches of the big cypresses partially hang over the raised beds -- why shouldn't the roots be as spread. Must be the cypresses. Would tarp block them?
No. The only way to stop underground roots is to install a deep underground barrier and if you do this your tree will suffer greatly. Feeder roots extend well beyond the drip line of a tree. Why are you worried about those roots? Cyprus trees are propagated from seed and from cuttings. They will not send up seedlings from the roots. If you want to plant in your raised beds by all means do so. Just dig down through the roots and plant your transplants or sow your seeds as normally done. You might have to do a little extra watering at first but once your plants are growing and established there will be little if any competition between the two.

Reaction score
Thanks Chuck! Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect that these cypress roots are too dense for being harmless for my potatoes etc. My chives, thyme, sage and hardy passiflora caerulea all died whithin one season, even though they all thrived in my previous garden. Looks like cypress trees may suppress (cypress?) or poison them (like walnut trees do). Or maybe it's too much water collecting in the yard under the surface from the slope.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck! Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect that these cypress roots are too dense for being harmless for my potatoes etc. My chives, thyme, sage and hardy passiflora caerulea all died whithin one season, even though they all thrived in my previous garden. Looks like cypress trees may suppress (cypress?) or poison them (like walnut trees do). Or maybe it's too much water collecting in the yard under the surface from the slope.
If the beds are raised they should drain rapidly. How thick or deep are the roots, 2 or 3 inches thick just below the top of the soil or have they gone much deeper

Reaction score
Yes, the network of thin roots is only 4-5" deep and just under the surface. They don't go much deeper, however here and there around the yard I hit thicker roots, 1-2" thick, which can go deeper. Although never saw connection between the two kinds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, the network of thin roots is only 4-5" deep and just under the surface. They don't go much deeper, however here and there around the yard I hit thicker roots, 1-2" thick, which can go deeper. Although never saw connection between the two kinds.
They are connected. Let's look at this from another perspective. In nature there are trees every where and they all have plants growing underneath them unless there isn't enough sunlight to provide photosynthesis. If the roots stopped growth, if they sucked up all the moisture, if they took all of the nutrients then nothing would grow. Just because your plants died previously doesn't necessarily mean that those tree roots were the cause. When you stick a transplant into the ground you are going to plant it 3-6 inches deep normally. All those matted tree roots cannot possibly soak up all the moisture and nutrients that are below them. There is something more going on than just a lot of matted tree roots blocking the growth of new plants that are added into the environment.

Reaction score
Thanks, Chuck! I guess I'll have to check the pH then; I read that seasonal waterlogging throws the pH off. Something has killed my plants here; and I don't want to build too many raised beds in the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Chuck! I guess I'll have to check the pH then; I read that seasonal waterlogging throws the pH off. Something has killed my plants here; and I don't want to build too many raised beds in the yard.
Ph can be a factor but soil is what it is. It is extremely difficult to change the Ph of the soil ITSELF. You can add amendments to the soil to TEMPORALLY change the Ph of the growing medium or soil but it is not permanent. Perhaps the plants that you planted were not adaptable to your soil type and/or Ph. One plant comes to mind and that is Blueberries. They will not survive in alkaline soils and if planted in alkaline soils the soil must be amended on a regular basis to ensure production and even the life of the plant. There are many others included in this. I do not believe that the roots of a Cyprus tree will affect the growing of most plants in fertile soil.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmarCharo43

Latest Threads