What is this White cluster on my Kiwi ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice this on a LOT of Kiwi's,
Almost always near to the edge of the fruit,,, a white cluster.
Is it dead fruit fly eggs/larvae ? or is it something else ?
I find this in about 30% of Kiwis.
Please let me know what it is.

Thank you very much

Kiwi White Cluster.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
White-Core Inclusions.
The occurrence of white-core inclusions is directly related to the presence of ethylene in cold temp storage. This disorder results in distinct white patches of core tissue that are obvious in ripe fruit. However that's after the fruit is harvested and put in cold storage. If your kiwi are spotting while they are on the tree, then it could be something else. Hopefully not the Spotted Wing Drosophila egg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
These guys can help you. "Southeast Kiwi Farming Cooperative" they know Kiwi experts in your area. Phone # (334) 421-3864

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
White-Core Inclusions.
The occurrence of white-core inclusions is directly related to the presence of ethylene in cold temp storage. This disorder results in distinct white patches of core tissue that are obvious in ripe fruit. However that's after the fruit is harvested and put in cold storage. If your kiwi are spotting while they are on the tree, then it could be something else. Hopefully not the Spotted Wing Drosophila egg

Thank you very much OneEye ;)
Most helpful.
one thing I wanted to ask you...
White core inclusions suggests that it is affecting the 'white core' of the fruit. (ie, the white centre). But these white clusters are always in the outer flesh (near to the edge).. under the skin.
I have never seen these near the core.

Reaction score
Country
United States
One way to know for sure if its ethylene presence, is if you had the infected kiwi's in cold storage for any period of time right after they were harvested. Here's a place that can help you on your next harvest of Kiwi's for next year. These guys sell little 5 mg packets for kiwi to stop ethylene presence in your kiwi's.
Product Attributes for 5 Gram Super Fresh Filter Media Sachet can be used with each 30 lbs of kiwi's. The Patented Super Fresh Media also kills molds, rots, bacteria, listeria and removes odors while in storage. Give them a call for next year's harvest.

Ethylene Control, Inc.

8232 E. Dinuba Avenue
Selma, CA 93662

Phone: (559) 896-1909

Ask a Question