What is this weed?

Reaction score
Can anyone help me ID this weed please? I have it growing ALL OVER my back garden, after a month it's all back again and I have to start turning over the soil again.

It seems very fast to grow and is spreading wherever I have bare soil. Please help!

weed.jpg

Reaction score
.Cardamine hirsuta.

It is a horrendous weed.
Not tall but still a complete thug.
You will never get rid if it.
When only a cm tall it can produce viable seeds that give rise to generations of more of this obnoxious weed.
I thought I would weed it out...but it was just impossible.
It was the worst weed in our garden.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=C...Xx0gW644DYBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=703

Seed pods look like this....

http://www.plant-identification.co.uk/skye/cruciferae/cardamine-hirsuta.htm

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's the one.

Oh no, I was hoping that it was something I could get rid of. Have you any advice on how to best tackle it? Just pulling them up as soon as I see it?

Reaction score
That's the one.

Oh no, I was hoping that it was something I could get rid of. Have you any advice on how to best tackle it? Just pulling them up as soon as I see it?

You will never get rid if it.
When only a cm tall it can produce viable seeds that give rise to generations of more of this obnoxious weed.
I thought I would weed it out...but it was just impossible.

Infact over the years it got even worse and spread to other areas of the garden.

At best you can pull up every one you see, but the seeds explode when you touch them.
They flower when so incredibly miniscule that they are very easily hidden behind a piece of soil, stone or other plants...which you will miss.
Sorry.

Reaction score
That's the one.

Well at least you can eat it. Make yourself a salad. I saw this article today about cardamine hirsuta;

"Whatever we call it, we agree it is very abundant, and easy to weed-up, but nearly impossible to get rid of totally. It is also a delicious, nutritious wild edible, reminiscent in flavor to watercress."

Ask a Question