What is this vine?

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpeg
Hi everyone! Recently purchased a brand new (118 year old) home in Michigan. The woman who previously owned the home was an amazing gardener and has hundreds maybe thousands of native wild flowers planted throughout the yard. I've noticed this vine growing up the gutter and I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 13389 Hi everyone! Recently purchased a brand new (118 year old) home in Michigan. The woman who previously owned the home was an amazing gardener and has hundreds maybe thousands of native wild flowers planted throughout the yard. I've noticed this vine growing up the gutter and I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!
Need to see closer pictures of the leaves but what ever it is I would cut it down before it rips off your gutter and downspout and tears off the siding

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply, Chuck. I am absolutely planning on taking this monster vine down but im not sure if it could possibly be sumac? Hope this picture is a little better. Thanks again!!
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply, Chuck. I am absolutely planning on taking this monster vine down but im not sure if it could possibly be sumac? Hope this picture is a little better. Thanks again!!View attachment 13393
That is sumac but I can't tell from the picture if it is the poisonous variety. If the leaves have jagged edges it is not the poisonous kind. Either way the only way I know of to permanently get rid of it is to cut it off at ground level and apply a few drops of a product called GreenLight Stump and Vine Killer to the stump. BTW the two types of sumac often grow together so be careful

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is sumac but I can't tell from the picture if it is the poisonous variety. If the leaves have jagged edges it is not the poisonous kind. Either way the only way I know of to permanently get rid of it is to cut it off at ground level and apply a few drops of a product called GreenLight Stump and Vine Killer to the stump. BTW the two types of sumac often grow together so be careful

I will pick some GreenLight today! Appreciate the help, thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's hard to tell from the picture, but my first thought was wisteria. Especially if she was an avid gardener.

In any case, you really should keep it out of the gutters and off the building - whatever it is, it wouldn't be good to have it covering your home!

Last edited:

Ask a Question