What is this tree / Pests eating the fruit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Does anyone know what this tree is? Last year it produced fruit that look like apples, but they don't taste like an apple...

Also, the fruit were being half eaten so I figured it was the rats, so I wrapped the trunk with a metal sheet. But lately I feel like the tree is getting completely plucked off even before a medium size fruit develops...

I was thinking previously it might be crows doing it.. but today I was looking around the tree and saw a feather sticking to a branch. What is a good way to keep birds out of the tree. Its a mature tree. Fairly big, I'd hate to wrap it in bird netting, I imagine that's a huge pain to actually harvest or take off completely one day. I saw online that hanging CDs like Christmas ornaments around the tree might keep birds away. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Another concern I have is some of the roots are visible in the base and they keep sprouting upward even after I trim them. I don't want to chop the entire root off and damage the tree in the process.

All suggestions welcome!

29pu96p.jpg

2ihseps.jpg

1j9cu9.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Gee, I am stumped with that fruit. It seems like I ahve seen it but it's hard to make a guess when you said the birds are feasting on the fruit. That means the fruit is edible and probably it's an exotic fruit. It actually looks like what we call "manzanitas" translated as little apple. It has the texture of an apple although the taste is far from apple. It is an exotic fruit that is rare now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was looking to see where you are at, but didn't see your State. The fruit looks healthy and probably has such a sweet aroma to attract different kinds of birds like that. Hopefully someone can give you an answer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It sure looks like a variety of Asain pear to me and keep those shoots coming up from the roots cut down. As for the birds, netting would probably be the best but as your said it would be a major PITA. Folks around here have had limited success with owls and rubber snakes. Personally my favorite deterrent is a 12 guage when marauders like grackles and crows try to eat my fruit but this remedy might not work so well if you live in town

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chuck you are funny, the first thought have a I had was the as yours but I don't gun and I do live in the city. Maybe a bb gun could be used to defend the fruit in the tree. I have also heard of people using cd's and pinwheels or any thing that makes noise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I'm in CA. I think its some sort of Asian pear. The fruit in the picture I posted is pretty small in comparison to how big it was last year.

Ask a Question