Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I have two of these growing on my cottage property. I'd love to give them some love and this fall I cut many branches but it appears many more need trimming but I don't know what they are. They grow funny ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 13374 View attachment 13373 View attachment 13372 I have two of these growing on my cottage property. I'd love to give them some love and this fall I cut many branches but it appears many more need trimming but I don't know what they are. They grow funny ...
I think what happened here is that at one time there was a Canadian maple tree on that spot, it was cut down for some reason and that bush you now see are shoots coming up from the original roots. Take some leaves to a local nursery to make sure. If they are and you want a maple tree then cut all but the best one down to the ground and keep on cutting new shoots that might grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
Oh that makes sense!
My parents have a maple tree but the leaves are dark red, so that's why I didn't think it was maple.
Thank you again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
These have not , they stay green :(
If they didn't change colors it is more than likely not a Canadian Maple but a Big Leaf maple. They don't have the colors of the other maples which is probably why it was cut down. Big Leaf's sometime turn to a pale yellow but a lot of time just brown and fall off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
If they didn't change colors it is more than likely not a Canadian Maple but a Big Leaf maple. They don't have the colors of the other maples which is probably why it was cut down. Big Leaf's sometime turn to a pale yellow but a lot of time just brown and fall off
Thank you, I will research big leaf maple :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Also known as Norway maple (Acer platanoides). It's a non-native invasive and the offspring of the red ornamental variety often come out green. I've got a big red one in my yard and about 50 offspring of it that are all green.

Ask a Question