What is this tool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
30AB0A18-6B1A-4998-B703-5AB592A584A7.jpeg
Can anyone please help me ID this tool? Is it even for gardening?! I’m guessing green must be, haha.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

It looks like a gardening implement of unusual design, I don't know the exact name if any, but perhaps would be intended for edging (trimming the edge of) a bed or turf, almost like a miniature scythe to be used at ground level, or a scuttling hoe, but operated from a different angle. If you learn more about its precise history, please do post that information.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

It looks like a gardening implement of unusual design, I don't know the exact name if any, but perhaps would be intended for edging (trimming the edge of) a bed or turf, almost like a miniature scythe to be used at ground level, or a scuttling hoe, but operated from a different angle. If you learn more about its precise history, please do post that information.

Hi, thanks for your comments. At first, I too thought it was a edging tool but the cutting edges confuse me. Perhaps it’s a crude, small branch lopper…if I ever find out for sure, I’ll be sure to post.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It may have been another type of tool that was uniquely modified for a special purpose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have found billhooks and patio cleaning crevice tools to have a similar shape. None bent on a shaft like that though. And that edge, is it thicker or just bent?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

My guess too. It doesn't look like it was purpose made like that, because it is is not very balanced or stable looking, with the handle attachment being so offset. Billhooks are very much larger and heavier tools, often for two handed use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think I will call it a versahoe. I have not found a flat version but I found this one:
Screenshot_20211001-234424.png
Screenshot_20211001-233921.png

I think the 2 piece screw together handle is a clue for the townhouse patio type market in unique weed control products.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I will call it a versahoe. I have not found a flat version but I found this one:
This is a most interesting find, but there is still a design gap that needs to be crossed. Is the original mystery tool an obscure prototype or early model of the versahoe, a unique homemade version of a versahoe, or something else. I searched for a video showing the versahoe in action but found nothing. Is it that new... or that unpopular?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This is a most interesting find, but there is still a design gap that needs to be crossed. Is the original mystery tool an obscure prototype or early model of the versahoe, a unique homemade version of a versahoe, or something else. I searched for a video showing the versahoe in action but found nothing. Is it that new... or that unpopular?
My suspicion is that it is a first and last generation production run. Sometimes it is cheaper to specify and buy products for a speculative sales effort than it is to pay for professional marketing study that may discover there is no market. What interests me is AM Leonard still having it displayed for sale. They always seem to have a marginal product mix sales structure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I will call it a versahoe. I have not found a flat version but I found this one:View attachment 85196View attachment 85197

I think the 2 piece screw together handle is a clue for the townhouse patio type market in unique weed control products.
Over all I am not a tool fanatic. I am a tradesman and tools generally ar just to make a living with. The exception to this is some specialty bicycle garden tools for the elderly that I use for guns and sewing machines and my gardening tools . I have a decent Hulu hoe and I have a SHW (German made) chopper/row maker hoe . This is a very nice tool , but it's only 3" wide . I found a company in the US that makes garden hoes from used disc blades after looking at there stuff and reviews across the web I ordered one of their garden hoes the company is Rogue and I ordered their model 70G . By the time it gets here it should be dry enough to try it out in the garden

Ask a Question