What is this plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I picked it up from my local nursery today and need help identifying it.

Attachments

• 16201672024276851441458775672843.jpg
    16201672024276851441458775672843.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a cluster of several small Ponytail Palms (Beaucarnea recurvata), likely seedlings that were not separated. The species is native to Mexico. They make both excellent houseplants and impressive outdoor specimens in tropical and otherwise mild climates. I grow several in my Garden.

Beaucarnea are not true palm, despite the common name, but rather a genus of the Ruscaceae (which may be optionally placed as a the subfamily Nolinoideae of Asparagaceae). Nolina, Dasylirion, and Calibanus are closely related genera. In fact, Calibanus has been proposed as a synonym of Beaucarnea.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I picked it up from my local nursery today and need help identifying it.

That is Ponytail Palm (Beaucarnea recurvata)​

Native to the forests of Belize, Guatemala, and southeastern Mexico, the Ponytail Palm (Beaucarnea recurvata) can be grown indoors or outdoors in most parts of the world. It is also known as Elephant Foot Tree for its swollen caudex (stem base) that resembles an elephant’s foot.

Common Pests

The Ponytail Palm is susceptible to a few pests, including mealybugs, scale insects, and spider mites. Consider using horticultural oils to control an infestation as they don’t damage the plant in the process. Also, check regularly for any warning signs so you can catch any problems early.

Here is comprehensive take taking guide:

Ask a Question