what is this plant popping up all over our zone 4b garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B
Country
Canada
Thanks to anyone who can help!
PXL_20210706_032258741.jpg
IMG_20210710_192259.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These look like Maple seedlings to me. If they are individual and not growing on runners, it should be easy enough to hand weed them out.
Do you have trees in that vicinity?

It would help you and others if you could update your profile with your actual whereabouts (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B
Country
Canada
They don't seem to be on runners, but there's so many of them growing in the same area of our garden with no maple tree nearby. They appear to have very shallow root systems and aren't growing anywhere else in our beds. I pulled one and took a photo for reference. We did have a shrub removed near this area and the stump ground out but I don't recall what the shrub was. Some are clustered together but many are growing as a single plant. I've updated my profile to show I'm in the Cariboo Valley in BC. Thanks for any further insight.
PXL_20210711_190827557.jpg
PXL_20210711_190836388.jpg
PXL_20210711_190857916.jpg
PXL_20210711_190924219.jpg
PXL_20210711_191208045.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for updating your profile - it will be a big future help :)

I feel convinced these are tree/shrub seedlings, and weeding them out will result in their extermination. It would be interesting though to maybe pot some up and grow them on just to see what they turn out like - they might be something fantastic and wonderful - you never know your luck !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 83526This one is Birch Mike. What d'you think?

I sowed the seeds of a Birch (betula) tree 20 odd years ago after a storm, and one catkin produced 106 trees. I planted a few here and they are now about 40feet tall. I sold the rest :happy:
I was taking into account the juvenile state of the leaves. How they are a fresh green texture, and of course the uneven base, where the leaf stalk joins the leaf. Also as you comment, the vast amount of germinating seeds. It will be interesting to see the development.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Devon, I'm curious if these tree seedlings have developed farther along.

After considering a variety of Birch (Betula) and Alder (Alnus), I think the seedlings might be the European Downy Birch (Betula pubescens), which is grown horticulturally, and is also listed as introduced in British Columbia.
The leaf tooth pattern can be variable, especially on cultivated forms, but I'm not certain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B
Country
Canada
Devon, I'm curious if these tree seedlings have developed farther along.

After considering a variety of Birch (Betula) and Alder (Alnus), I think the seedlings might be the European Downy Birch (Betula pubescens), which is grown horticulturally, and is also listed as introduced in British Columbia.
The leaf tooth pattern can be variable, especially on cultivated forms, but I'm not certain.
Unfortunately they're under 2ft of snow at the moment so I can't say right now but will be eagerly awaiting seeing them in the spring!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately they're under 2ft of snow at the moment so I can't say right now but will be eagerly awaiting seeing them in the spring!
Now I'm looking forward to their Spring emergence as well. Please do post more pics.

Ask a Question