What is this plant and why is the one on the right yellow?

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
Need help to ID two plants, and some advice on rescue the yellowing leave one.
One is the tree-looking one which has no leave in the fall, and flowering in spring and now showing fruit (tiny balls).
The other one is like branchy plant with only branch and leaves, no flowers. Seemed to be ever green. That one for some reason one out of the two is turning yellow. It's the one closer to the fence and I could not figure out why. I tried to trim the middle branches last night to keep more air flow in case it were choking.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-5778.JPG
    IMG-5778.JPG
    276.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG-5780.JPG
    IMG-5780.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG-5782.JPG
    IMG-5782.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG-5784.JPG
    IMG-5784.JPG
    334.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG-5785.JPG
    IMG-5785.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG-5786.JPG
    IMG-5786.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 114
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @LGY :) I`m not sure what your flowering plant is, but the other one with silver grey leaves is Eleagnus ebbingei which is a very sturdy shrub normally, and has tiny white flowers in the middle of winter that send of a wonderful scent.
Maybe you could therefore look up this shrub to see what might be causing the leaves to yellow. It could possibly be a fungal problem, and might be root bound :unsure:

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes! The pictures looks like it.
I was reading online and it is bad to have the tree next to the house foundation and it can grow very big, like a tree. Is that true? The builder landscaper literally have those next to the house...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:oops:I feel quite certain this is Eleagnus. When working at the nursery I propagated thousands of them. I grow it here, and it is not actually a tree, but a strong growing shrub which is very suitable for hedging. The plant is also known as Oleander.Silly me....Oleaster - as @marlingardener has added

1594750896444.png
As a sturdy hedge...

1594750956133.png
Insignificant white scented flower in winter.....
1594751073419.png
Eleagnus limelight, a variegated variety - not as strong growing.....

This plant is susceptible to verticillium wilt - a soil borne fungal disease that enters the plant through the roots.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I hate to disagree with Tetters, who knows so much about plants, but Elaeagnus is not Oleander. It's common name is Silverberry, and is actually Oleaster, which has many varieties of flowering plants. It is a shrub which can be pruned into tree shape. If it is close to the foundation of your house, you might want to remove it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We had this in our previous garden and the flowers may be tiny but the scent is very powerful. Would agree that it is not really suitable for growing near foundations.

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
They have put it all along the fence line on that side. These 2 are the starting and it stretched along to the right all the way (where the house is). That line of planting is probably 1 feet - 1.5 feet from the house max.
So sounds like I want to plug it out and put it somewhere else before it become a headache?

They've already planted a jumbo tree that would eventually cover my solar panel in a few years.

IMG-5787.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hate to disagree with Tetters, who knows so much about plants, but Elaeagnus is not Oleander. It's common name is Silverberry, and is actually Oleaster, which has many varieties of flowering plants. It is a shrub which can be pruned into tree shape. If it is close to the foundation of your house, you might want to remove it.
Yes! @marlingardener of course you are right there .....must be old age on my part :shame:

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the help :) Only the purple tree left. Hope its not another monster as the hydro electric utility is right there :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The first three photos in the OP show a shrubby Crepe-myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica or a hybrid) in the Loosestrife Family (Lythraceae),
the last three photos show a Silverberry (either Elaeagnus pungens or a similar hybrid, E. ebbingei) in the Oleaster Family (Elaeagnaceae).

None of the plants pictured would get particularly large and all would be amenable to pruning. Neither were any planted too close to a building. Their removal was unnecessary for the reasons given.

Ask a Question