MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't grow orchids.

I guess I do, now. :D

This one was given to our neighbors, who don't have houseplants. They gave it to us. I've re-potted it, and now it has these weird growths sticking out of the pot.

1117160933.jpg

There is a third one on the other side.

I'm assuming they are roots, and since it chose to thrust them out of the dirt, it knows what it is doing, and I should leave it alone. :confused:

I know little to nothing about orchids. What are these? Does anything need done at this point? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's totally normal, and yes they are roots. In their natural habitat orchids grow up in trees and take in water from the humid air - you can try and recreate that by misting the visible roots with water :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't keep it next to your bed
1yikestkt.gif

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
:LOL: Ah, that little thing doesn't scare me! It only looks big... I had to get close to show the roots.

My orphaned orchid is 4" high, and living in a coffee cup!! :ROFLMAO:

Oh, and another question. :whistle: Directly above the shorter root - any idea what caused that leaf damage? It had a small spot when I got it, and it keeps getting worse. Should I snip it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I often buy phalaenopsis on sale. Not only because it is cheap. Just a pity the plant. On them is a lot of damaged leaves at first. I did not touch them. Usually phalaenopsis throws them later. This unpretentious orchids. Now in my kitchen drawer full of blooming phalaenopsis. And again they grow their branches with buds. I can spray the roots or once a week supply plant of water for 30 minutes.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Now in my kitchen drawer full of blooming phalaenopsis.
Am I misunderstanding you? You have a kitchen drawer full of blooming orchids? May I see a picture? :)

Given the right conditions, how often will they bloom?

Thank you, Larisa, I will let that leaf be!! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Again.
Now some phalaenopsis faded, others bloom. Some phalaenopsis gave flower buds.
15802-478c99ffadca1e2ddd23e48bd273d1fb.jpg
15803-df4204c33b39c62c37dad9377c12f30e.jpg
15805-1c678b8ea85dab1a332b3ff2318f2a18.jpg
IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG
IMG_1437.JPG

Now we have a strong central heating in the apartment. So hot and I protect plants from dry air. In addition to flower buds on a branch of a grow new phalaenopsis.
IMG_3454.JPG

IMG_3456.JPG

This Phalaenopsis came to bathe.
IMG_3434.JPG

It is in an old aquarium.
IMG_9949.JPG

On the rack.
IMG_7672.JPG

Hopefully, now the image properly loaded.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Gorgeous photos @Larisa (y)

I agree that it's best to leave the leaf alone. Not sure what may have caused it though... In terms of general advice, orchids tend to like a bright spot away from direct sunlight, don't like too much water, and need air around the roots. You can get special planters that have a ridge around the inside of the pot that the inner pot sits in, leaving an air gap at the bottom.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can get special planters that have a ridge around the inside of the pot that the inner pot sits in, leaving an air gap at the bottom.

:oops: Sorry, Becky, but with this orchid I'm making it up as I go along. Whenever I'm anywhere that would have what I need for it, I'm there doing other things. :oops: I forget about it. It really is my orphan orchid.

It seems quite happy with me ignoring it. Other than the one that came damaged, the leaves are green and glossy. (y)

Reaction score
I have been keeping these beauties for at least twenty years. They will bloom for up to nine months on one flowering stem, rest for a couple of months, and start all over again. Get an orchid fertilizer and use it according to the directions. And never, EVER, let it sit in water! Mine get two ice cubes once a week for water. Enjoy your new plant.
John

Ask a Question