What is this flower

Reaction score
Country
Luxembourg
the-suspectj.jpg
Could someone help me identify this flower? Reverse image searches suggest that it is a Lily of the Valley but that is not correct - quite apart from the fact that I know that flower well, this one has no discernible scent. My daughter suffered a severe allergic reaction after picking a bouquet of wild flowers. The only new one there was this one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Sofram and welcome. It certainly looks like Lily of the valley, and I found this link which surprised me https://garden.org/thread/view/129992/Lily-of-the-Valley-No-smell/

Looking at wildflowers generally I wondered about the white bladder campion, but I`m not at all sure of that.... I do know that Lily of the valley is poisonous.

We are hoping that your daughter has fully recovered ??

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd agree with Tetters, can't find anything close in the wildflower book apart from Lilly of the Valley.

Reaction score
Country
Luxembourg
Thank you Zigs and Tetters. I found this image for White Bladder Campion. Although it does not too well in the picture I took the flowers in question have the same membranous petals/urn with a faint greyish line pattern which somehow make them look more deadly to me than a normal Lily of the Valley. However, I have been unable to find any allergy information regarding it - quite the contrary it does appear to have several uses. My daughter gathered a whole bouquet along with a few dasies and then sniffed at them so I guess she got a huge dose of pollen and has had hayfever like symptoms since.

Ask a Question