Country
United Kingdom
Looks like a Cricket :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's a katydid. They are like a mixture of a grasshopper and cricket. They do minor damage to citrus by chewing on and scaring the young fruits. Usually they are a solitary insect and not worth spraying for. Just pick him and squish him. On the pictures that show black on the leaves just remove the leaves as they seem to be very few. It is either a fungus or it is honeydew.. On the leaf that is split that looks like physical damage, probably by mishandling or maybe the wind. I would keep a close watch on the tree, especially the underside of the leaves as this is the time of year for aphids and other nasties to emerge. If you start to see insects in numbers spray with spinosad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Haven't really seen many grasshoppers here in quite some time.
Sounds like the grasshopper wasps are doing their job. How about I send you a few pounds of grasshoppers so the wasps won't starve and you send me a measly 200 wasps:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I could lend you a few of my katydid hunter wasps, if you don't feel comfortable plucking them off your plants. :)

DSC_0040_zpsrpelke8c.jpg

DSC_0037_zpsh6pu2osi.jpg

DSC_0036_zpsv1h8wxuy.jpg
As an aviator, that is just plain cool. Arial combat in its natural form! Are they solitary, or do they form large hives?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know where they live. All of the ones I have seen are solitary. One negative thing about them is that they like to eat spiders too. I have never seen one on a grasshopper but many times on a katydid. And rarely I have seen one dragging off a caterpillar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's a katydid. They are like a mixture of a grasshopper and cricket. They do minor damage to citrus by chewing on and scaring the young fruits. Usually they are a solitary insect and not worth spraying for. Just pick him and squish him. On the pictures that show black on the leaves just remove the leaves as they seem to be very few. It is either a fungus or it is honeydew.. On the leaf that is split that looks like physical damage, probably by mishandling or maybe the wind. I would keep a close watch on the tree, especially the underside of the leaves as this is the time of year for aphids and other nasties to emerge. If you start to see insects in numbers spray with spinosad.

Thanks chuck, I'll keep an eye on it.

Ask a Question