What is the next step for my cucumbers ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hi everyone, first post.

In image cuce-1 I have a plant that I'm not sure what do with, it's grown quite tall and basically is falling over it's side. I live in Massachusetts - zone 6A. Is cuce-1 ready to be put into an outside raised bed ?
should I move it into a larger pot and cover a larger section of the stem with soil so it won't fall over ?

image cuce-2 shows two more plants, planted later than cuce-1, and just for general advice if you have any, on how to move forward better with those, if I made any mistakes with cuce-1.

Thanks a lot in advance !
Guy

Attachments

• cuce-1.jpg
    cuce-1.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 86
  • cuce-2.jpg
    cuce-2.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 86
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
@Chuck Thank you for your reply.
Is there a sign you see in their growth that implies the starvation for sunlight, or - it's just a general advice for this time of season ?
Also - by "take outside" do you transfer to garden soil ? Should I harden them beforehand by having them a few hours each day outdoors ?
Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck Thank you for your reply.
Is there a sign you see in their growth that implies the starvation for sunlight, or - it's just a general advice for this time of season ?
Also - by "take outside" do you transfer to garden soil ? Should I harden them beforehand by having them a few hours each day outdoors ?
Thank you.
They are what is called "leggy", meaning they are too tall for the number of leaves. Take them all outside and plant the big ones. Let the small ones grow at least one set of true leaves before transplanting. If your low temperatures are below 45F bring them in at night until they harden off a little.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thank you @Chuck , will do.
"Leginess" is something i experience with Cilantro and pretty much 100% of my dill. I was actually going to open a new thread about this, I'll attach an image here. Does legginess generally imply light starvation ?

Attachments

• dill.jpg
    dill.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 75
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you @Chuck , will do.
"Leginess" is something i experience with Cilantro and pretty much 100% of my dill. I was actually going to open a new thread about this, I'll attach an image here. Does legginess generally imply light starvation ?
Yes. Any plant will reach for the sun if it is being deprived. A very leggy plant will usually be a weak plant later on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
@headfullofbees , that's a shame. I wasn't counting much on the dill, but I thought/hoped the cucumbers still had a fighting chance. Actually finished the raised bed with trellis today and was planing on planting cuce-1, along with some direct seeding, this, while waiting on cuce-2 to grow true leaves before planting.

Ask a Question