What is the best variety of tomato?

Reaction score
Any tips for the best salad tomato? I am growing about four different types this year as I'm not sure which will be the tastiest. I found Rila F1 plants for sale at our local market and thought I'd give that a go. I also have some plum tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and marmandes. What is everyone else growing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I really like Betalux - it's so yummy! But it's a Polish variety so I'm not sure if you'll be able to get it. The tomatoes are deep red and juicy - and delicious.
But, as a tomato addict, I love all tomatoes:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm growing "Shirley", "Red Alert", "Tumbling Tom Red", and "Latah".
All are salad tomatoes.
I have previously grown "Ferline" and "Tamina", both of which I really enjoyed.

Reaction score
The restaurant I frequent always use cherry tomatoes on their salad and it tastes really good. The taste of the tomato blends well with the greens and the salad dressing. It adds both sweetness and tangy-ness to it. And the bright color gives accent to the greens. But I heard, and I do not know if it is true, that cherry tomatoes are more expensive than the others that is why it is seldom being used (or bought). Probably that is also the reason why this restaurant does not put much cherry tomatoes on their salad. I only find two to three pieces in each salad serving.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Cherry tomatoes are what caused me to stop growing food,
about 25 years ago I had a big garden , I planted twenty Big boy tomatoes plants all of them got huge
Only to find out they were mis marked and they were all cherry tomatoes
My wife sold them to a local restaurant all summer

That was the last vegetable garden I have grown

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I really love cherry tomatoes, too ! I like to grow some in a pot close to the back door, and then I munch on one or two as I go in and out.
For salads, I really like Roma style tomatoes. They are not too large, and are more meaty, and less juicy, which to me is perfect for salads.
For just slicing tomatoes, then the Beefsteak, or one of the large varieties is just the ticket. They are big and fat and juicy, and perfect for slicing or for tomato sandwiches (which are a Southern favorite) , and will also be the right size for hamburgers.
I love fresh tomato slices with hot corn on the cob ! Those two tastes are just perfect together, in my opinion.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have always grown Big Boys or Beefsteak variety. I have never tried to the Cherry tomatoe variety.

Reaction score
I like beefsteak tomatoes, yellow tomatoes and yellow cherry tomatoes. We grow the yellow cherry tomatoes every year and they are easy to grow and take care of. Our kids love the cherry tomatoes whether yellow or red, but I prefer the yellow ones and everybody is happy with them.

Reaction score
Okay, we have to get into these green tomatoes, what is the huge deal about eating green tomatoes. If it is all to me, I would much rather stick with red and cherry tomatoes. I also prefer the yellow ones.

Reaction score
I really like cherry tomatoes because I think they generally taste the sweetest. I also like the fact that they are fairly easy to grow in my greenhouse, and I always get good results.

dim

Reaction score
best taste: Brandywine and Ananas Noir

sweetest: Sungold Cherry, Super 100

tastiest: Ananas Noir, Momotaro Black, and Cherokee Purple

(suppose it's subjective and depends on your own taste) ....

I have planted some other varieties a few days ago, so will see how they fare/taste in a few months time .... there are a few newer tomatoes such as Sweet Aperitif :
http://blog.thompson-morgan.com/gar...t-tomato-youll-ever-taste-or-your-money-back/

and sugardrop:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/142065/Sugardrop-The-new-sweetest-tomato-ever

it also depends on how you feed/fertilize your plants .... I practice High Brix Gardening methods (fertilizing/feed with Actively aerated compost teas, seaweed extract, fish hydrolosate, volcanic rock dust etc), which raises the Brix levels (sugar content)

here is an interesting article:
http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/tomatoes.htm

Reaction score
Okay, we have to get into these green tomatoes, what is the huge deal about eating green tomatoes. If it is all to me, I would much rather stick with red and cherry tomatoes. I also prefer the yellow ones.
There are fully grown and fully ripe tomatoes called "Green Zebra". Mild tomato but very good. They are green with a light yellow stripe.

Reaction score
I have Golden Jubilee, Bella Rosa, and several others.
I think it's all taste. I like low acid too and you usually find those in yellow and some green varieties.
I know a lot of people like the black ones but we tried them one year and well lets just say my chickens loved them lots!
I'm going to end up replanting seeds again if this weather does not act like spring going into summer!
Still have not been able to plant outdoors!

Ask a Question