What is the best dirt to use

Reaction score
I chose some dirt that was previously used but a lot of weeds had grown up around it. I want to know what is the best dirt i should use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I chose some dirt that was previously used but a lot of weeds had grown up around it. I want to know what is the best dirt i should use.
Are the weeds in it or around it? You might also go the Organic Gardening forum on this site and read Maintaining Your Soil and Fertile Soil-What Is It?
If the weeds are just around the soil ask yourself why. Possible herbicide contamination perhaps?

Reaction score
I would invest in buying in some quality soil if you don't have any good near you. You don't want give your plants a bad start in life. It will only be a waste of time and money, and a disappointment for you in the end.
If you have access to relatively good soil, you can always mix in some compost and mulch to improve its quality.

Reaction score
Yeah, I personally had to buy a lot of dirt myself because all the soil I have here is clay, which apparently the plants hate and won't grow in it. Well I can't say nothing won't grow because the weeds love it. Just go to your local gardening store and get some dirt, or you could go to a nursery and buy the dirt there, they usually have the better soils.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the best soil for you to use would be a good organic compost bought from your gardening store or made locally from a friendly farmer is even better. We have a farm in the area that composts their manure for months and then sells it to local gardeners and that plants that I have grown from it are so strong and healthy and produce a lot! I feel very lucky that i am able to get it but I'm sure a good composted manure from the garden center would work almost as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get my dirt from the local garden shop. He has the most organic rich soil. This soil has helped create some lovely plants. If you visit those local garden store versus Home Depot, the quality will be much better.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Different plants need different types of soil. You may want to look at what you are planting then decide which soil you want to invest in before you just puchase soil to have available. If you have plants that need a lot of acid in the soil you will need to add more to the soil to make it more to the plants liking.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I get my soil from the landfill, which is very dark and rich in nutrients. I mix that soil with my own organic compost, and my plants grow beautifully.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Latoya0511 - weeds can grow anywhere;)
I use regular soil for all my plants. You can buy it in any gardening store and in most supermarkets. It doesn't cost much.

Ask a Question