What is safe to plant above gas pipe of 1” plastic…

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
My situation is like this: moved in a new home and found out recently (after 1.5 years) that the plant the builder landscaper put in was a crepe myrtle, roses, and Abelia (I cannot tell which type still).

The yellow line is marked by the gas company, with two feet either way in terms of accuracy. Clearly the crepe myrtle need to move somewhere because it is sitting way too close to the house plus blocked by the house shadow and could be happier anywhere else than that spot. No idea how deep the pipe is beyond it is an 1 inch plastic pipe (like splitter between our place and neighbors’).

I am considering options, all involves crepe myrtle moved regardless as explained previously.
1) remove everything and cement the area (cons: blurry separating the property line / loose the landscaping area)
2) remove the existing plants and plant other shallow root ones fully knowing it is right where e gas pipe lines were (cons: I have no idea what I can plant that is shallow root. I am in zone 9b easily 100F and the spot is full sun south facing)
3) cement it, and build a retaining wall hardscape that will allow to put any plant I want (cons: how are they going to repair gas pipe, or do they ever need to?)

Can anyone share your experience on planting near gas lines and suggestions on good plants to at is safe?
And if you did option 1 or 3 or other options that is not listed above and if you like that decision?

thank you

10C40FB8-C993-420A-AB7C-CB3344E51BAF.jpeg

10C40FB8-C993-420A-AB7C-CB3344E51BAF.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
It should be 2 ft deep at least . I wouldn't plant a tree over it but myrtle or roses won't hurt it . There should be 2 pipes underground unless you are on a higher than standard main . 1 in is the minimum you can run for 1 house and it is unusual to put fittings in the line coming from the main to the house

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick response.

I am a bit lost. So there are actually two pipe for gas in the ground but they only marked one?

Without knowing it were gas line area previously, I was originally planning to do hedges such as sunshine ligustrum, euonymus, or boxwood along the borderwith roses and tree roses along the side where the driveway were (I.e. the no pipe side). Would that still be feasible?

I noticed all my neighbors cemented their area leaving a narrow area with rocks, and was wondering how can they repair if needed once they cemented it. Was there a reason why everyone cemented it (besides extra parking space)?

thanks again.

It should be 2 ft deep at least . I wouldn't plant a tree over it but myrtle or roses won't hurt it . There should be 2 pipes underground unless you are on a higher than standard main . 1 in is the minimum you can run for 1 house and it is unusual to put fittings in the line coming from the main to the house

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I would remove the crepe myrtle as it hasn't reached it's full height yet. Bearing in mind that roots tend to have the same spread as the plants height. If the pipe/s are down 2ft then the other plants shouldn't be a problem.

I was originally planning to do hedges such as sunshine ligustrum, euonymus, or boxwood along the borderwith roses and tree roses along the side where the driveway were (I.e. the no pipe side). Would that still be feasible?

I wouldn't risk planting those in the area.

I noticed all my neighbors cemented their area leaving a narrow area with rocks, and was wondering how can they repair if needed once they cemented it. Was there a reason why everyone cemented it (besides extra parking space)?

Perhaps they don't want to risk damaging the pipe in the future although they are pretty tough to cut through....they have to be for safety reasons.

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Sheal.
I am having a hard time picturing what to do with the area now. Definitely prefer not to cement it as then there is no real separation from the neighbor driveway. Also wanted to remove the existing flower carpet rose and African iris as they are very hard to maintain nicely (and apparently I am allergic to whatever it is outdoor in summer). What would you recommend to replace in this scenario? I am in dry 9b (easily 100F in summer) and south facing.

thanks again

I would remove the crepe myrtle as it hasn't reached it's full height yet. Bearing in mind that roots tend to have the same spread as the plants height. If the pipe/s are down 2ft then the other plants shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't risk planting those in the area.

Perhaps they don't want to risk damaging the pipe in the future although they are pretty tough to cut through....they have to be for safety reasons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
A rockery would work very well there. Most rockery plants would cope with the heat and being smaller plants would solve the root problem.

Here are a couple of internet images to give you an idea. There are plenty more if you'd like to take a look yourself. :)

1626646187271.png

1626646278451.png

Ask a Question