what is it--interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
IMG_5924 (2).JPG
IMG_5924.JPG
Carefully look at these two pictures. I can sit on my deck and my eyes catch this little floating white glob among the trees. although as the sun is shinning I some time think there are little quick flapping wings on each side, but it could be my eyes. kept shooting camera at it. finally got one and cropped it out. it seems to float at no real direction , perhaps just the faint breeze. think its a spider up chuck. but interesting. not the first morning I 've seen this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
/smile. A slow moving white snitch.
See the source image

,.....I have seen puff ball like that come off my willow tree,....but do not see a willow in your photos, so suspect it is something else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 59538View attachment 59539 Carefully look at these two pictures. I can sit on my deck and my eyes catch this little floating white glob among the trees. although as the sun is shinning I some time think there are little quick flapping wings on each side, but it could be my eyes. kept shooting camera at it. finally got one and cropped it out. it seems to float at no real direction , perhaps just the faint breeze. think its a spider up chuck. but interesting. not the first morning I 've seen this.
It's possible it is a wooly aphid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My guess is it is a future dinner for a large spider. It has wrapped it well to preserve it and to keep other animals from devouring it. I have seen these while out deer hunting in the fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
interesting, maybe something that fell off a leaf above. but it never continues downward to the ground, just kinda floats and swings a bit. so must have some web attachment I can't see. just interesting. size--its no bigger than my thumb nail, if that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
interesting, maybe something that fell off a leaf above. but it never continues downward to the ground, just kinda floats and swings a bit. so must have some web attachment I can't see. just interesting. size--its no bigger than my thumb nail, if that.
A spider egg sac. Some spiders attach silk to a sac and let it float around until it attaches to something whereupon the sac hatches its eggs and the baby spiders start the whole process again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My guess is it is a future dinner for a large spider. It has wrapped it well to preserve it and to keep other animals from devouring it. I have seen these while out deer hunting in the fall.
I have been watching cwd travel my way for some years. It has shown up in the middle of Mississippi. I live to the east in Alabama.
MissPontotocCo.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have been watching cwd travel my way for some years. It has shown up in the middle of Mississippi. I live to the east in Alabama. View attachment 59583
I live in the middle of cwd. In fact there is a cwd station about 2 miles from my house. I saw my first cwd deer about 3 weeks ago while driving into Bandera and it is not a pretty sight. I had no idea it is this far spread. I always thought it was just a Texas problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Michigan has been devastated by CWD in recent years. My opinion is that you have to keep the herds thinned out. When the population becomes too large the disease is spread to almost every deer. Deer that are weakened from a lack of nutrition are most susceptible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think that in Texas one is allowed 5 deer per season. It should be at least double that. We have deer everywhere, WAY too many. I remember as a kid my dad taking me deer hunting and 65 years ago the deer population was minuscule as to what it is today and the deer had much larger bodies. Today a skinned and gutted buck that weighs 75 pounds is considered big. That deer I saw driving into Bandera was the first, that I know of, to have cwd. It was walking along a fence line by the highway and at first I didn't recognize it as a whitetail. It was literally nothing but skin and bones and its hair was missing in large patches. This was a doe but I couldn't tell if it was full grown or not. If it weren't for traffic I would have stopped and shot it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
No deer in Alabama are natural. They were all killed and eaten during The Great Depression. Now we have the imports, which are small bodied deer from Florida and large body from the north.

Ask a Question