What is it - gopher, mole, vole, aliens?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The past few months I've noticed a few small pushed-up piles of crumbly soil, typically just a few inches across. There are no noticeable trails between the piles and I've not been able to uncover any kind of opening under them. I believe they're too small for gophers, no tunnel evidence for moles, and no open tunnels for voles. So what are they and how do I make their lives miserable and short?
20200823_110002.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The past few months I've noticed a few small pushed-up piles of crumbly soil, typically just a few inches across. There are no noticeable trails between the piles and I've not been able to uncover any kind of opening under them. I believe they're too small for gophers, no tunnel evidence for moles, and no open tunnels for voles. So what are they and how do I make their lives miserable and short?
View attachment 70473
It's probably earthworm castings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hmm, I doubt it's earthworms. When I lived in Michigan, we had huge nightcrawlers. But we only have a few, very small earthworms in So.Calif. And to make a casting pile that big would require a worm to eat a couple of burritos! They definitely don't help my lawn - they cause a lot of barren spots where the mounds are.

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
we have the big, non aggressive wasps that we call "cicada killers", as they burrow down underground hunting the cicada.

You can tell where they've been active, as they leave a very fine crumbly small pile of soil, almost sand like.

I've often seen them flying low, sometimes in groups, but like I said, very non aggressive, I've cut lawns where they were abundant with no problem.

(yellow jackets another story!)

Ask a Question