What is going on with the squash leaves?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A couple of my squash have developed yellowing patches and dry edges. I had originally thought it was from a dry weekend where we went away and had not watered in about a week. It's been in the upper 80's and 90's in dry, windy Southern California, so a lot of the plants were thirsty when we came back.

However, most bounced back. These squash seem to have a little more difficulty. They are a hybrid between a butternut and acorn, I was given the seeds from a friend. Any ideas?

Fertilizing with organic veggie fertilizer every three weeks, last week we used home-made kelp fertilizer. Watering about every 3-4 days. The soil was very fertile topsoil/compost.

Attachments

• Photo Jun 17, 8 09 19 AM.jpg
    Photo Jun 17, 8 09 19 AM.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Photo Jun 17, 8 09 24 AM.jpg
    Photo Jun 17, 8 09 24 AM.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Photo Jun 17, 8 09 34 AM.jpg
    Photo Jun 17, 8 09 34 AM.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 229
  • Photo Jun 17, 8 09 38 AM.jpg
    Photo Jun 17, 8 09 38 AM.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 207
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A couple of my squash have developed yellowing patches and dry edges. I had originally thought it was from a dry weekend where we went away and had not watered in about a week. It's been in the upper 80's and 90's in dry, windy Southern California, so a lot of the plants were thirsty when we came back.

However, most bounced back. These squash seem to have a little more difficulty. They are a hybrid between a butternut and acorn, I was given the seeds from a friend. Any ideas?

Fertilizing with organic veggie fertilizer every three weeks, last week we used home-made kelp fertilizer. Watering about every 3-4 days. The soil was very fertile topsoil/compost.
That looks like a watering issue. Either too often or too little. Probably too often. The soil looks excellent and therefore able to retain deep moisture. When you water do you give the plant a long slow complete soaking or just until water starts to stand on the surface.

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like Leaf Miner damage. The new untouched leaves look good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We deep water. The other, larger squash near by that get the same amount of water are doing just fine, so I thought it might have been a disease. Only two of the 6 squash (they are inter planted with corn) have the yellow and drying leaves. Every 4 days without water, if you dig down 6" it's as dry as a bone.

Ask a Question