What is eating my vegetables?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings from Southern California. Something is eating my chard, radishes, and kale. I inspect everything every day, and can see no visible pests. Last year I had a thrip problem, which I think I brought into my garden by way of starters that I bought. This year I started everything from seed, so that can't be the answer. We have lots of butterflies, though it's a bit early for when they get more abundant, and I found plenty of worms from them last year, but can't find any worms this year yet.
Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• pest1.jpg
    pest1.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 66
  • pest.jpg
    pest.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 68
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Greetings from Southern California. Something is eating my chard, radishes, and kale. I inspect everything every day, and can see no visible pests. Last year I had a thrip problem, which I think I brought into my garden by way of starters that I bought. This year I started everything from seed, so that can't be the answer. We have lots of butterflies, though it's a bit early for when they get more abundant, and I found plenty of worms from them last year, but can't find any worms this year yet.
Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!
That looks like cabbage looper damage. Look on the bottom of the leaves for a tiny little green worm that is the same color as the chard. Spray both sides of the leaves with either a spinosad based product or Bt.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. I haven't noticed any worms, but I will take a much closer look.
Are the two products you suggested safe to use on leafy greens? I'm trying to stay chemical-free as much as possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck. I haven't noticed any worms, but I will take a much closer look.
Are the two products you suggested safe to use on leafy greens? I'm trying to stay chemical-free as much as possible.
Those worms are difficult to see. Both of those products are totally harmless to people and pets and are not made from chemicals. They are made from soil bacteria.

Ask a Question