What is eating my radishes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have picked a load of my radishes which did great incidentally but so many of them have teeth marks in them? They are not small, I don't think it is mice or rats as the cat would have had them away easy and we would be getting even more presents. What else could it be? Do rabbits eat radishes? Do rats and mice for that matter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there Voles in your area? They like to eat roots and stay mostly underground
I am not entirely sure to be honest, there could well be voles, it's a surprisingly wildlifey area so that could be it? Would they leave signs in the garden like holes or anything?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Voles are pretty tiny, like mice so it's easy to miss them. Sometimes you'll see narrow ridges running in lines across the ground (also easy to miss) and if you press down and it's hollow underneath you've got voles most likely. I had them back when I lived in California and they were a real pest in the vegetable garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Voles are pretty tiny, like mice so it's easy to miss them. Sometimes you'll see narrow ridges running in lines across the ground (also easy to miss) and if you press down and it's hollow underneath you've got voles most likely. I had them back when I lived in California and they were a real pest in the vegetable garden.
I just went out and did it and it felt weird and kind of hollow? All the teeth marks are on the bottom and sides too and no leaves are disturbed so I think it is voles, thanks everbrown and beth. I hope they stay underground until we move as my cat will have them away in no time at all!

Ask a Question