What herbs might survive my winter?

Reaction score
I live in Utah, home of the best snow on earth. Our growing season starts to wind down in October usually. I want to make a fall planting in the garden where I took out my beets. I was thinking of filling it with onions and garlic. I really know nothing about either of them though. Will these plants survive my cold winters? How to I plant them? Will my herb plants survive if I cover them in a net or something?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You can get autumn planting onion sets. Garlic will do ok overwinter too. Land Cress does ok, strangely enough, we had snow down to -17c the year before, when it cleared a Mizuna Lettuce was still alive under it.

If you can cover it'll help.

Reaction score
My neighbor bought some agriculture cover. I am not sure where he got it but he says it makes a six degree difference in temperature for the plants. He had tomatoes last Christmas. Its not the prettiest stuff int he world but its better then no garden over winter. I am going to go look for it as soon as the fall stuff comes out.

Reaction score
I live in Utah, home of the best snow on earth. Our growing season starts to wind down in October usually. I want to make a fall planting in the garden where I took out my beets. I was thinking of filling it with onions and garlic. I really know nothing about either of them though. Will these plants survive my cold winters? How to I plant them? Will my herb plants survive if I cover them in a net or something?
I agree with Zigs about the garlic and onions, they will do well no matter what the temps are. For colder climates like Utah it wouldn't hurt to cover them with some leaf based mulch for the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Garlic is better for autumn planting.

"Vernalisation" is the process of cold breaking down growth inhibiting chemicals within certain seeds, bulbs, etc.

Hardneck is especially good where snow is involved.

Ask a Question