What happened to my Zebra Plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I had a perfectly healthy zebra plant that I bought at walmart a couple of years ago. It was very tiny when I bought it and it grew to about 2 feet tall in the two years I had it. I never moved its location, didn't change any of my watering habits , yet all the leaves started to turn yellow and fall off. Eventually I was just left with the stem.

I put the pot with the stem outside on my balcony in a corner and forgot about it. A few weeks ago, I noticed that it has come back to life. I'm ecstatic about that because I really like this plant. But I don't want the same thing to happen.

Does anyone have any experience with zebra plants. Is this a common occurrence? If I had changed the way I cared for it, it would make more sense but I never did. Please help my zebra thrive :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
During this two year period, have you transplanted it? Have you feed it with any kind of container plant food or used a foliar spray? After some time plants become root bound and their potting soil can be come depleted of some or all of its nutrients. Your plant might need magnesium, iron or even potassium. Try reading up on what your plants specific soil needs are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I transplanted it when I first brought it home and since it was doing so well, I never transplanted again. As for plant food or foliar spray, I did use plant food but it was the same I had been using when it was doing well. I will definitely check out the soil needs for my plant because I don't want the same thing happening again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Most plants need to be transplanted every so many years until the reach their full size. It may just be missing some kind of nutrient in the soil. I'm sure if you read a few articles and see what other people's experiences have been with growing the plant, you'll figure out what to do for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Most plants need to be transplanted every so many years until the reach their full size. It may just be missing some kind of nutrient in the soil. I'm sure if you read a few articles and see what other people's experiences have been with growing the plant, you'll figure out what to do for it.

I was reading an article on another site about a person who had the exact thing happen to their zebra plant. Like mine it came back to life after being forgotten. Their plant also produced a pretty yellow flower. Now I'm hoping mine will do the same. I will be investigating a bit more on the zebra plant to see if I can figure it out. Thanks for your help, Chanell:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I was reading an article on another site about a person who had the exact thing happen to their zebra plant. Like mine it came back to life after being forgotten. Their plant also produced a pretty yellow flower. Now I'm hoping mine will do the same. I will be investigating a bit more on the zebra plant to see if I can figure it out. Thanks for your help, Chanell:)

You're welcome! I've never even seen a zebra plant (that I know of) so I can't really offer any further insight. I hope your plant bounces back and produces a flower as well. Good luck, maybe you'll be able write about your own experience with the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
673814132_1373442174.JPG

This is a photo of my zebra plant as it sits now, Chanell. I wish i could find the picture I had before it gave up on me. The leaves look really healthy and they seem to be growing at a pretty good pace. A beautiful bloom would definitely be an added bonus :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's pretty, Blueeyes! Maybe you should try giving it potassium? At first I dissolved a potassium tablet in water, but now I soak banana peels in water (takes about a week) and use that as a foliar spray for everything that produces fruit or flowers. My plants are looking great and at least one that hadn't flowered in a long time finally produced buds. I spray the plants three days a week.

Your plant looks healthy now so I wouldn't worry too much about it, but you should definitely keep reading so you can try and prevent it from happening again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
It does look healthy Chanell but then again, it looked healthy before too....I will take your advice and try giving it some potassium. I would love to see my plant flower but even if it doesn't, I just want a healthy green plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I can relate!

One of my dahlias just started keeling over. It doesn't look sick, it's not turning colors; one of the stems just decided to suddenly lean out to the side enough to make me think something was wrong. The other stems started to follow suit, causing me to wonder if the plant was getting too much water (it's been raining a lot) but other than the stems no longer being erect, it seems fine. It has yet to flower, but I keep spraying with banana water and hoping I won't have to wait until next spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't know how I forgot about this -- you can try spritzing the zebra plant with aspirin water. Use one tablet per 16 oz of water in a spray bottle. Just spray the plant every few days as needed. The aspirin will promote new growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I don't know how I forgot about this -- you can try spritzing the zebra plant with aspirin water. Use one tablet per 16 oz of water in a spray bottle. Just spray the plant every few days as needed. The aspirin will promote new growth.

Wow, you have so much helpful information, Chanell....I have always plopped a ground up aspirin in flower arrangements but never thought of spraying my other plants to promote new growth. I'm off to the dollar store to get another spray bottle...Thanks, Chanell:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You're welcome! I have a growing collection of them, lol. One has aspirin water, another banana water, and a third has soap spray. I dug out a fourth one I forgot I had the other day that I am reserving for just plain water. Thinking about getting another for epsom salt water, but not sure if you are supposed to spray that on or what - have to read up some more.

Ask a Question