What flower is this?

Reaction score
Looking to find out what type of flower this is. I planted it a few years ago and it comes back beautifully every season...would love to purchase more but just don't remember what it was :(

179429_10150883320572444_244252063_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It looks like a red Asiatic lily to me, but then I'm no expert. I would suggest you take the photo back to the place where you usually get your plants and ask someone there. There's a young plant coming up among the ones you have growing now, so maybe you can just encourage the ones you have growing to spread more by feeding them.

Reaction score
It looks like a red Asiatic lily to me, but then I'm no expert. I would suggest you take the photo back to the place where you usually get your plants and ask someone there. There's a young plant coming up among the ones you have growing now, so maybe you can just encourage the ones you have growing to spread more by feeding them.

Im am off this weekend to shop for my garden and I will take your advice and take a picture of it with me. I would love it if I can get different colored ones to mix in. It truly is a very pretty plant although it only flowers once and then I have the stalks for the rest of the season.

Reaction score
It is a Lily (Lilium). Don't know which one though. Hundreds of varieties to choose from.

Thanks a bunch! I'm am totally brand new to gardening and started off by winging it. The picture I originally posted is actually my first hand at planting in the yard. I'm so glad they grew !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Im am off this weekend to shop for my garden and I will take your advice and take a picture of it with me. I would love it if I can get different colored ones to mix in. It truly is a very pretty plant although it only flowers once and then I have the stalks for the rest of the season.

You may also want to research online for how to grow lilies. There may be a way to get them to bloom again, but lilies are not my forte - I am hoping to start growing them soon myself.

Reaction score
It's an Asian lilly but I don't know the name of the color it is.
They are beautiful flowers.
Asian lillies come in several colors and some can get up to 36" tall too!
Another common name for the orange ones with brown or black specks is tiger lilly.

Reaction score
I wonder if Maddie would know. Going to try something to see if it the computer will notify her of this post...
She grows Asian lilies so she might have an idea as to which one it is that you have. It's worth a try :)
I know that this is Asian lily, each cultivar may be called by a different name. Mine was called lollipop red Asian lily. Another similar one with greenish buds was called red carpet. This one looks more like the lollipop red variety. I am not so sure since there are so many hybrid varieties locally.
@ Warmweatherwoman, you do not have to worry. This type of Asiatic lily will spread fast. After they have finished blooming cut and de- head the plant. Leave the stem on till it dies out on its own and you will have bulbs ready for planting in the next season store them like you store the regular day lily bulbs or wrapped in moss.

Reaction score
You may also want to research online for how to grow lilies. There may be a way to get them to bloom again, but lilies are not my forte - I am hoping to start growing them soon myself.

I had no idea you could possibly get them to bloom a second time! I'm so excited!! :) Here a look at them now :)

420770_10151410035252444_1280445047_n.jpg

Reaction score
I know that this is Asian lily, each cultivar may be called by a different name. Mine was called lollipop red Asian lily. Another similar one with greenish buds was called red carpet. This one looks more like the lollipop red variety. I am not so sure since there are so many hybrid varieties locally.
@ Warmweatherwoman, you do not have to worry. This type of Asiatic lily will spread fast. After they have finished blooming cut and de- head the plant. Leave the stem on till it dies out on its own and you will have bulbs ready for planting in the next season store them like you store the regular day lily bulbs or wrapped in moss.

Thank you soo much for the tips!! I am truly grateful as I would love to take care of them and have them spread like wildfire because they are totally beautiful at bloom!

You mentioned the bulbs and storing them for next year? I'm a novice to gardening so this is new to me. This is something I have not been doing since planting them. I will look into it further for sure. Thanks Again!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We have some type of day lily that my grandmother planted forever ago. They have been in the ground almost as long as I have been alive and I am afraid to dig them up. The have survived hurricane Katrina, being mowed down by idiotic lawn care people, trampling by my bother and his children, abuse from contractors...

They have yet to bloom this year though I keep waiting and hoping. I would love to relocate them, but as I said, I'm afraid of damaging the bulbs. The green tops don't die off because we have fairly warm winters.

I recently collected some pods off pink lilies outside an empty house in my mother's neighborhood. I'm hoping I will be able to encourage the seeds to germinate. From what I've read online, some people have had success growing lilies this way and some haven't. It takes a really long time for bulbs to form (learned this from recent garlic attempts), but if I can at least germinate the seeds I think I could get lilies after the first year.

Ask a Question