What edibles do you grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Looking to add to the garden. So far, tomato's, peppers, carrots, onion, lettuce, squash, potato, pumpkin and cucumber are all in the line up.

I have tried growing beats and radish, but just don't like them. It to mad, because they are so easy to grow. Seems like if they even touch moist soil at all, they germinate!

Broccoli had been a challenge for me. I've yet to get a harvest. Only had one attempt really, ordered some from Burpee (starter plants) and I got the notification of shipment the day before leaving on vacation and two weeks earlier than expected, so yeah... They died.

Tried rutabagas this past weekend and thought it was a bad sweet potato. Maybe there are other ways if cooking it, but can't justify it as it's too similar to sweet potato, just not as good.

What are some other options? Winter or summer crop,I have room for either, about 5-6sq ft open. Summers are hot, Winters are mild but a few light freezes are possible (jalapenos made it through winter unprotected, as did pansies and bananas). Help me find something yummy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm a sucker for good green beans. They grow fast and easily. Currently I have some growing in pots in my office cubicle and they aren't as prolific as in the sun but they're still producing. Also maybe strawberries?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How about melons, sugarsnaps, pak choi, salad leaves, fennels, turnips, sweet potatoes, asparagus, Chinese leaves, mooli? I wish I had that much land!

Can't blame you for not liking beet or radishes.. Rather disgusting in taste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm a sucker for good green beans. They grow fast and easily. Currently I have some growing in pots in my office cubicle and they aren't as prolific as in the sun but they're still producing. Also maybe strawberries?
Can you get a decent crop of green beans in a small space? I always thought beans were rather large and unwieldy plants.

Strawberries are to much work. Tried them before and the birds loved me for it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Can you get a decent crop of green beans in a small space? I always thought beans were rather large and unwieldy plants.

Strawberries are to much work. Tried them before and the birds loved me for it!
I'm not sure what you would consider a decent crop but last time I planted them in a bed (about 2'x4' area) I got enough for about 4 meals for 2 people. I could have gotten more out of them if I had tended them better. Those were a purple green bean variety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you would consider a decent crop but last time I planted them in a bed (about 2'x4' area) I got enough for about 4 meals for 2 people. I could have gotten more out of them if I had tended them better. Those were a purple green bean variety.
Hmm, might need to rethink then! I love green beans!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Winter veggie suggestions that you didn't mention: cabbage and kale. Both very easy to grow, very tasty.

Summer veggie suggestion: pole beans, pinto beans, asparagus beans and peas (cream,crowders, purple hulls) . Pintos are so much better tasting when grown in the garden Also, each of those mentioned are legumes adding N2 to your soils. I use them extensively for cover crops (not the pole beans)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I grow a lot of fruit these days, parsnips outside, in the conservatory tomatoes and very hot chillies.
Grow a lot of blueberries in pots but have to cover them because the blackbirds like the fruit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried growing Broccoli once.
The caterpillars LOVED me for it. I had big fat caterpillars, and utterly denuded broccoli plants :(

Ask a Question