What do you like to have for breakfast?

Reaction score
Hi guys! Just curious! I'd like to know what you usually have for breakfast :) I'm curious and also looking for some healthy ideas. Breakfasts have never been my fav meal of the day, I always struggle finding ideas :( Nowadays my breakfast is very light, I only have a fruit smoothie and that's it (not feeling hungry at all lately).

When I was younger I used to have pancakes with lots of syrup ;) My dad used to make scrambled or sunny side up eggs for me as well, I ate a couple sausages too :p

Feel free to share what you had for breakfast today or yesterday ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have gotten stuck in a rut for my breakfasts. Usually just whole wheat toast with strawberry jam. But lately, I have had a notion for eggs, so we do a handful of boiled ones and keep them ready in the fridge. Other days I will scramble an egg and make a sandwich with my toast. I usually have a few squares of fresh fruit, banana/mush melon/pineapple as I prepare the rest of the breakfast.

We make wheat bran muffins, adding coconut and dried cranberries, that are oh so good and provide a pleasant change of pace. We use those as an evening snack several times a week. In the winter I experiment with home made bread and have found some cold rise whole wheat recipes that are great as a snack or as a base for baked bean sandwiches or cinnamon toast.

I love buckwheat pancakes, but as real maple syrup has soared in price, I don't do them very often...just not the same with corn syrup or sorghum.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I pay a lot of attention to breakfast as that is what our system demands. I am not sure if you will like what we eat here. Ofcourse the usual fried eggs, cheese, butter, bread, oats, coffee, tea etc I suppose you are familiar with. Here in India we have other things and there is a great variety there - masala dosas, idli sambhar, dahi wada to mention a few.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
Coffee :( I don't like breakfast, either. It makes me really sick to my stomach. Not sure why.
Interesting. I have a problem with breakfast as well, no matter if I wake up at 6, 7 or 10 I have/like to wait a few hours before eating anything.

As a result breakfast is always skipped and the first meal of the day occurs at around 12:00-01:00 pm.

I just drink coffee or water at the morning as soon as I wake up then I have lunch at around 12:00-01:00 pm.

Then I eat about 4 times a day: 12:00-01:00pm; 04:00-05:00pm; 07:00-08:00pm; and optionally at 11:00-11:59 pm... then Sleep!

And it can be categorized (respectively) like this: heavy, light, heavy, light. Interesting!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
This varies a bit but is usually grains and nuts. My break with the traditional eggs and bacon.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?GSKCF 27 February 2013 Daily Breakfast

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?SOVEQ 27 February 2013 Cooking Breakfast Grains.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QIUDU 22 November 2011 Cooking Soy Beans

Breakfast consists of soy beans, almonds and other nuts, skim milk, spoonful of molasses, large flake oats. This makes a nourishing breakfast meal and replaces the typical NA food adequately.

Reaction score
Coffee :( I don't like breakfast, either. It makes me really sick to my stomach. Not sure why.

Really? How long has it been like that? It's funny you mention this because today I woke up with nausea again (I must have eaten something bad yesterday). I was supposed to meet up with someone today for breakfast, nut I'm not sure I'll make it today. Breakfast has always been so meh to me. How long have you been suffering from this?

Reaction score
I have gotten stuck in a rut for my breakfasts. Usually just whole wheat toast with strawberry jam. But lately, I have had a notion for eggs, so we do a handful of boiled ones and keep them ready in the fridge. Other days I will scramble an egg and make a sandwich with my toast. I usually have a few squares of fresh fruit, banana/mush melon/pineapple as I prepare the rest of the breakfast.

We make wheat bran muffins, adding coconut and dried cranberries, that are oh so good and provide a pleasant change of pace. We use those as an evening snack several times a week. In the winter I experiment with home made bread and have found some cold rise whole wheat recipes that are great as a snack or as a base for baked bean sandwiches or cinnamon toast.

I love buckwheat pancakes, but as real maple syrup has soared in price, I don't do them very often...just not the same with corn syrup or sorghum.

You know? They do the exact same thing in the Netherlands with toast and scrambled eggs, but for lunch!!!! Yikes!!! I never liked te idea of having eggs for lunch. Your breakfast ideas sound wonderful!!!!! I love wheat bran muffins, I plan to bake my own :) I'll definitely look into those options once I move to the new house. I need a good oven!

I pay a lot of attention to breakfast as that is what our system demands. I am not sure if you will like what we eat here. Ofcourse the usual fried eggs, cheese, butter, bread, oats, coffee, tea etc I suppose you are familiar with. Here in India we have other things and there is a great variety there - masala dosas, idli sambhar, dahi wada to mention a few.

I read a bit about the masala dosas :) They sound delicious and very healthy, lots of carbs, I love indian food, but I'm not sure I have any talent for cooking it :p Would love to try something new, it all sounds so good and healthy!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We had pets since many years
You know? They do the exact same thing in the Netherlands with toast and scrambled eggs, but for lunch!!!! Yikes!!! I never liked te idea of having eggs for lunch. Your breakfast ideas sound wonderful!!!!! I love wheat bran muffins, I plan to bake my own :) I'll definitely look into those options once I move to the new house. I need a good oven!

I read a bit about the masala dosas :) They sound delicious and very healthy, lots of carbs, I love indian food, but I'm not sure I have any talent for cooking it :p Would love to try something new, it all sounds so good and healthy!!!!

You can follow recipes. You will find them on the net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Before my back problems started up again I was having a lot of smoothies for breakfast - in fact we had so many it broke my blender and I decided to get a purpose built smoothie maker! Making smoothies is a great way to pack in lots of fruit and veg in the morning to get your day off to a good start. One of my favourite combos was banana, frozen mixed berries, spinach, hemp seed powder and water / fruit juice - really good for you and very delicious. You'd think that putting a lot of spinach or kale into a smoothie would make it taste weird, but once it's blended with the other ingredients you can't taste it. YUM!

Currently I'm on a lot of pain killers which have supressed my appetite - particularly for sweet things - so I just have boring toast at the moment. I miss my smoothies!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I have a full breakfast once every couple weeks or so, but I do have something for breakfast every day.

Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, Potatoes and Toast. I switch up the Toast with Donuts, Cinnamon Rolls, Pancakes, Waffles, French Toast on occasion, but my go to is toast. For a drink, if only 1 Coffee, if available Coffee, Juice and Milk. If possible the juice is Orange and Tangerine with the fruit from the backyard.

The other 90% of the time a bowl of cereal and a piece for toast. Fruit Loops, Capt'n Crunch, Lucky Charms, Mini Wheat or Cheerios.

If you have read this far I'm going to share with you cereal eating enlightenment. Put the bowl in the freezer for at least minutes before your going to eat it makes a difference :cool:

Reaction score
Woah... sounds like you have a lot fun with your diet, Greenhorn ;) Do you get all those baked goods from the store or you bake 'em yourself? I'm thinking of consuming more baked goods in the future, but I'd like to make 'em myself! So me and my fiancee have something fast and easy to eat for breakfast. I was thinking of bran blueberry muffins! Things like that.

Thanks for all those suggestions... I loooooove them!!!!! I loved hash brown patties for breakfast too ;) Ah, but right now I must watch what I eat :( I need to lose a couple kilos I gained last year!

Reaction score
Before my back problems started up again I was having a lot of smoothies for breakfast - in fact we had so many it broke my blender and I decided to get a purpose built smoothie maker! Making smoothies is a great way to pack in lots of fruit and veg in the morning to get your day off to a good start. One of my favourite combos was banana, frozen mixed berries, spinach, hemp seed powder and water / fruit juice - really good for you and very delicious. You'd think that putting a lot of spinach or kale into a smoothie would make it taste weird, but once it's blended with the other ingredients you can't taste it. YUM!

Currently I'm on a lot of pain killers which have supressed my appetite - particularly for sweet things - so I just have boring toast at the moment. I miss my smoothies!

It's refreshing to hear someone say so many positive things about smoothies!!!! I was feeling like such a weird weirdo of the weirdest land for having smoothies for breakfast!!!! Oh Becky, you made me feel much better!!!!! I'd definitely try that suggestion of yours... to be honest I have never added spinach to a fruit smoothie, but I have heard it's really in now to add some green. i mean, look at this guide:

57402118e236a31cdada6e6be5b43ff5.jpg

Best of luck with your back pain, I know how tough is to live with chronic pain, I hope you recover your appetite soon. Stay strong!!!!! I hope you can go back to your tasty and super nutritious smoothies very soon =D

Reaction score
We had pets since many years

You can follow recipes. You will find them on the net.

Is there a site you'd recommend? I don't know a lot about Indian cooking, I might end up in a site with many bad recipes (I ended in a site full of awful baking recipes when I was younger, hehehehe!). So if there is any site you know that has good recipes explained in a simple way, then go ahead and let me know :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That guide is excellent! I love adding dates to a banana smoothie, it adds a yummy toffee flavour :D

Ask a Question