What do you do about flowers in the winter...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I was wondering what do you do about having the life of flowers around you during the winter or seasons where you find yourself inside mostly. I have a couple of non-flowering plants but I'd like to see some colorful flowers. I'm often tempted to purchase cut flowers on display in Kroger's when I'm there. Any suggestions? I would like to be able to nurture it/them year round. Is that possible?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have an orchid. It already has a few buds, so I'm sure it will bloom soon:love: I can't wait!
As for cut flowers, I like them very much. If you change their water regularly, they'll stay fresh for a long time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Window flower boxes inside. Place flowers in a window box inside the window rather then outside the window.

Ever seen a flower in a globe? You can create a clear covering over certain species of flowers outside that keeps them warm during the winter and allow them to continue to flourish. It only works with certain flowers though. That is another idea you can work with.

Reaction score
Country
United States
African violets are the absolute best choice to me during the winter. They are easy to keep alive and nearly impossible to grow perfectly so they are the perfect plant for generally everyone. If you take the serious route buy named plants and potentially show them, you can take a winter pastime and have even more fun if you have a knack for it.

I could keep one African Violet in bloom at any given time with 5 plants and a 4 foot strip light. Pretty great plants actually.

Reaction score
I have some flowering kalalanchoes, but i think that is kinda odd! As nematode pointed out, African violets are a good choice. They are so hard to take care of tho, but if you are up to the challenge, then why not? I have seen some lilies flowering in the winter as well, indoors in a very shallow pot.

Reaction score
Oh my where to start - as there many, many beautiful indoor plants that will flower throughout the winter months - so if looking for something to brighten up the dull days of winter - along with those already mentioned - here are a few more that are well worth considering

Bromeliads

Indoor Plants - Winter - Bromeliads.jpg

Begonias - of which there are plenty of varieties to choose from with varying foliage and flower colors

Indoor Plants - Winter - Begonia.jpg

Clivia - more commonly known as the Kaffir Lily

Indoor Plants - Winter - Clivia - kaffir lily.jpg

Cymbidium Orchids - whose blooms not only last for around 10 weeks but also come in a wide variety of colors - as well as miniature and pendulous varieties

Indoor Plants - Winter - Cymbidium Orchids .jpg

Cyclamen - again plenty of choice in terms of color and foliage - especially as many of the new varieties not only have truly spectacular foliage but stunning flowers too

Indoor Plants - Winter - Cyclamen Persicum.jpg

and if none of these appeal there plenty of others like for instance - Azaleas, Polyanthus, Winter Jasmine, Streptocarpus or Cape Primrose - as well as many flowering bulbs and particularly Amaryllis of which there many to choose from including some that are fragrant :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've kept my Christmas poinsettia alive on my kitchen table. Not a flower so much, but colorful and life-giving nonetheless.

I also have an indoor aloe plant that I'm planning to propagate and spread out. I love it and I love that it is so easily forgettable and non-demanding. I'd like to have one in my bathroom.

I'll be honest. I'm happy with things in my house during winter that are ALIVE, even if they don't flower. I'm not very good at high maintenance plants, so it is probably best that I stick with easy plants that just stay green. Green is better than brown, after all. Hah.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do like the flowers in the pictures, during the winter I do not usually have flowers just greenery. I try to keep the poinsetta alive as long as I can but usually it will on live until April. Also I bring my coleus into the house at the fall to continue their growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I brought my Mandevilla Crimson hanging basket inside for the winter. It was still going strong in the fall, and I hated to let it go! It continued to flower for me while I was watering it daily, but I have gotten lax... I keep it hanging over a sink, so it's ok that it's an outdoor basket that drips. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love having indoor plants to liven up the place during winter because they're the direct opposite of what's outside haha. Succulents are a good alternative because they're pretty low maintenance overall and come in a nice variety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My boyfriend and I always said that when we get our house built, it was going to look like a tropical garden inside. LMAO Plants really liven a place up and they are great for air filtration.

Ask a Question