What do you call the these things that go in the middle of long trough window boxes to stop them from getting too wide

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a pic of what I mean, need to know the name to purchase some more

Attachments

• IMG_20190419_174440.jpg
    IMG_20190419_174440.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20190419_174456.jpg
    IMG_20190419_174456.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 170
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Also does anyone know if these types of window boxes are deep enough for snapdragon, phlox, nicotiana and stock to grow in and do well in? Some are 15cm deep others are 18cm deep

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a pic of what I mean, need to know the name to purchase some more

I'm not sure to be honest! I'd describe it as a type of brace, but I can't find anything by googling for that. Where did you buy the planter from originally?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I got it from a friend and they don't know what it's called either lol, I tried looking for them on Amazon but none of them come with the brace thing

Hey by the way do you know if those pot dimensions will be big enough for the flowers I'm getting? It's my first year growing something other than sweet peas and pansies so I've never had any of them before

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Why don't you make your own? :unsure:

You'd need - all thread, two fairly large washers, two nuts, a drill, and maybe a hacksaw to cut the all thread. (If you went to the hardware store with measurements, they might be able to cut it for you.) That way you could brace it below the rim, and bury the all thread in the dirt. Might not be as attractive on the sides, but you wouldn't see the brace running across it.

Drill holes on either side, put in your all thread, slide on the washers, then tighten your nuts.

For anything fancier than that, I think we need a visionary!! @Colin? Do you have a minute? :giggle:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for the plug MaryMary much appreciated. :)

Your method would work and last for years. ;)

If it's just the top braces that are required then there are a few options.

A very simple and cheap option would be to use an old wire type coat hanger; measure the distance across the top of the planter add 3" to this cut the coat hanger to this length then bend 1.5" at each end; slide over the planter and it can be adjusted anywhere you like; alternatively very heavy galvanized wire as used for fences. Ensure the cut ends are smoothed.

https://www.thehangerstore.co.uk/pr...1yrE0sUKEGpY8fLzlkIpBewoO3kv8gqEaAjhzEALw_wcB

I presume these window boxes will be free standing?

Another simple solution would be to measure the inside width; cut a length of wood like a thick stick then having drilled a couple of holes use a wood screw with washer at each end having drilled the holes.

You could of course make your own wooden planters from scratch if you have basic tools.

Just a couple of ideas to kick around; pity you don't live nearby Panda then I'd have been happy to help out.

Regarding planting I think the best option is to plant what you fancy then wait and see.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
speaking of window boxes. saw some beauties in Oregon. but they did not plant the plant in the box, they kept the plant inside the pot and put the pot in the boxes. so that was several plants lined up in a row in the boxes. kinda neat idea, as should one dye out, so easy to find another pot and just move it in.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the plug MaryMary much appreciated. :)

Colin, you are a little like a souped-up version of my boyfriend. (Shh... you have much nicer kit! :ROFLMAO:)

I am forever taking things to him and saying something along the lines of "look what this does, that's kind of cool, but it would be a wonderful thing if it would do this !!" Maybe I want whatever it is to swivel, or have lights inside it, or have hooks attached, or open from the other side, or ..., or ..., or... (I think at least part of the reason he and I stay together is because he enjoys the challenge of what will I dream up next, and I enjoy that he can make most of those dreams come true!) . . . Somewhere along the line, he started bringing things to me, and saying, "I am going to throw this out, unless you can think of something to do with it." (With adjustments, it usually turns into a plant hanger, a bird feeder, or a cat toy. (y))

Sometimes I see the most simple way to fix something, but it's really basic, and he sees how to fix it another way. He can add a little flourish!! (That is why I called you to this thread!! ;))

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have white planters shaped like yours that I put out front on a wrought iron railing. They're 30" long x 7" wide and 7" deep. I've planted 9 10 Petunias plus 4 Vinca Vines in each, and they were beautiful all summer as a guide for you. I'm not sure how well very tall flowers will do in it though.

Mine do not have the center bracket to keep them from bellying out a bit, but it's not a brittle plastic that will crack just from that slight bending out, so I haven't had any problems without a bracket.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree that a simple brace made of stiff wire would be the best option. Correctly attached, it would be both more durable and attractive than the manufacturer's plastic brace. Also, as you can read, I have unilaterally decided to call it a 'brace'.

Ask a Question