Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do not do this

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United States
hello, someone gave me some plants yesterday, and i have no idea what they are or how to care for them other than water . anyone know what theses are ? if i can get a name i can figure out how to care for them but will take pointers as well. i live in northern california in the mountains if that matters , i think they they do better inside than out?
SANY4559.JPG
SANY4559.JPG
SANY4561.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The plants are two different varieties of dracaena and are usually better off indoors as they prefer low light. They don't need much water so don't overdo it. They are good office plants because they are low maintenance and don't need direct sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ChanellG nailed it. Seriously, do not water these often. They can probably go months without being watered and do great.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plants are two different varieties of dracaena and are usually better off indoors as they prefer low light. They don't need much water so don't overdo it. They are good office plants because they are low maintenance and don't need direct sun.
ChanellG nailed it. Seriously, do not water these often. They can probably go months without being watered and do great.
thank you. i am trying to look them up i see corn plants, i have one of them not pictured but do ia care for them the same? do they need anything special any fertilizers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm guessing all dracaena cultivars have similar requirements so if you find instructions for one type it probably applies to all (or at least most.)
Generally, they do best in good well-drained soil, water only when completely dry, avoid big temperature fluctuations, and fertilize in spring only. Yours look quite happy and healthy!
I notice that you appear to have a dog (the food and water bowls in the third photo) and dracaena can be quite toxic to dogs and cats. Many house plants are, and it's not usually a big deal because most dogs and cats don't eat house plants but just giving you a heads up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Don't know about corn plants. You could google it.
But, don't panic! A plethora of house plants, vegetables and wild plants are potentially toxic to dogs and cats, the list is huge really. However, dogs and cats rarely ingest them so it's not a big deal at all. I've had multiple dogs, cats and all sorts of "potentially toxic" plants (including tomatoes and half the stuff in my garden) for going on 40 years.

I just mentioned it because if you have a puppy (by definition, puppies are pretty much retarded; I have a 13-week old pup now so I know this LOL) or kitten who might be silly enough to go after your plants and actually eat them, just something to watch out for.

Reaction score
Country
United States
oh good... makes me feel better i was starting to get worried, even explained no no to all three of my dogs, but they are elder /senior dogs so i don't think i have anything to worry about there. i do appreciate your time and answers ...

Ask a Question